Join now - be part of our community!

Latest Xperia update has bricked my tablet?

SOLVED
probedb
Visitor

Latest Xperia update has bricked my tablet?

I noticed there was a failed update today on my tablet (don't remember which update).

So I downloaded it again and let it install. It rebooted, I got the android robot loading and then it's dead, the screen is lit but long power does nothing, no reaction when plugging in a charger.

Any thoughts?

23 REPLIES 23
Didrik
Enthusiast

Hi again @probedb,

Thank you for the update.

Glad to hear you where able to boot your tablet. Regarding the failed update, did you try our suggestions at the start of this thread?

probedb
Visitor

Hi Didrik,

I ended up using Companion and doing a repair on it as the update would not install. 

Didrik
Enthusiast

Oh, I see. Thanks for letting me know!

SHeila309
Visitor

Hi @Didrik,

I have Toshiba and Samsung 128 GB SD cards, to the best of my experience they have not shown odd behaviour, compared to my old Sandisks.

My calendars and widgets (train and flight widgets) stop working if I move those apps to SD cards, the widgets are then gone from the widget list. Any tips?

I read about this "trick", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpBKN4PKphg, but I am not so sure if I want to try is, as it might brick my tablet forever. And this one also, http://liliputing.com/2015/10/android-6-0-can-treat-sd-cards-as-internal-storage-at-a-cost.html

What's Sony biggest phablet or phone with 32 or 64 GB internal storage, 3GB RAM?

Dzaborek
Visitor

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I have updated my z3 tablet to v. 23.5.A.1.291. After restart it freezed at optimazing app x of xxx and resets after about an hour. Then it was rebooting every 10 seconds on Sony logo. I used xperia companion for repair... It took 30 minutes and 'said' it was done correctly. After turning on it restarts about 3-5 times on Sony logo and then boot moves on to --> power by android --> purple 'waves'screen appear (like in normal boot).... But this waves screen lasts 5-10 minutes and tablet restarts and whole sequence repeats. I've tried repair few times but results are the same. Can someone please help me?!
Didrik
Enthusiast

Hello @Dzaborek,

I'm really sorry to hear about your phone. I can understand your frustration, especially if you have tried the repair several times.

If repairing the software failed to sort this out it's entirely possible that the cause behind what you are experiencing is related to hardware and not software. Could you check if the same thing occurs when booting your phone without an SD- or SIM-card inserted? If so I'd recommend that you have your device sent to be examined by an authorized service centre, contact your Local support for information on how to proceed with sending in your phone.

@SHeila309, our devices unfortunately do not support formatting an SD-card as internal storage. Is it just a few selected apps that do not function as smooth while stored on an SD-card instead? If that is the case my guess would be that these apps require an SD-card with a higher class (higher writing/reading speed), especially if the app is quite demanding in regards of performance.

Our smallest tablet with 32GB of internal storage is the Z3 Tablet Compact (SGP621), note that this version of the Z3 Tablet Compact is not launched on all markets. Not long ago the Xperia XA Ultra was also released, though it does not have 32GB of internal storage.

Dzaborek
Visitor

Thank You for Your reply Didrik. I removed SD and Sim card but unfortunately nothing changed. I will contact local service center since my Z3 is still under warranty....but is it possible that hardware has been damaged because of software update? And if so... Does the warranty apply to this situation?
Didrik
Enthusiast

Hi again @Dzaborek,

I'm really sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I cannot answer your question here as warranty and service procedures differ between markets and regions, that question is better suited for your local support team as they will assist you further.

Let us know how it goes!

Dzaborek
Visitor

Hi again @Didrik,

Yesterday I have sent my device to the authorized service center. Now I'll just have to wait. I'll let You know how it goes.
SHeila309
Visitor

Hi @Didrik,

Many thanks for your reply. Give and take about 10-15 apps for calendar and travel. My SD card says 48Mb/s, too slow? What is the speed required?

Done factory reset, empty all data on internal storage,  clean update with Sony Companion, it keeps saying low memory.

The Z3 tablet with 32 Gb is only WiFi, not LTE? If I bought a 32GB internal storage tab, then root it, can I put Sony ecosystem on it?

Thanks,

Sheila