Join now - be part of our community!

Latest Xperia update has bricked my tablet?

SOLVED
probedb
Visitor

Latest Xperia update has bricked my tablet?

I noticed there was a failed update today on my tablet (don't remember which update).

So I downloaded it again and let it install. It rebooted, I got the android robot loading and then it's dead, the screen is lit but long power does nothing, no reaction when plugging in a charger.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SHeila309
Visitor

I was about to ask the same question. Was there another update for Z3 tablet? I woke up with my tablet totally blank, all wiped out.

Resetting to factory state and performing clean update now.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

I'm sorry to hear about your issue, but you might have to contact your Local support

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Was it rooted or anything like that before?

If not, press and hold reset tab in sd port for ten seconds,
See if it reboots correctly, if not...

load up Xperia companion on pc and connect the USB to tablet whilst holding volume down.
See if it recognises it then perform repair installation.
Didrik
Enthusiast

Hi @probedb,

When you installed the update, did you notice any error messages on your tablet?

If the Android robot is dead it indicates that an update failed. In order to revive it you may need to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion. Was your computer able to detect your device after @Viridis suggestion?

SHeila309
Visitor

I was about to ask the same question. Was there another update for Z3 tablet? I woke up with my tablet totally blank, all wiped out.

Resetting to factory state and performing clean update now.

SHeila309
Visitor

Does the new update cause a massive usage of the internal storage capacity?

I did a clean update (reset to the factory setting first, now with the latest 12.5.A.1.291-r3d), installed 71 apps (in total 4.91GB) but the storage keeps saying 14.97GB (cache cleaned) out of 16GB is occupied, and my tablet is rather lagging.

Any advice to clean up the internal storage? Otherwise I have to move to another mini tablet with 32 GB (I really hate the thought of me using Samsung).

Didrik
Enthusiast

Hi @SHeila309,

If you are using the 16 GB version of the Z3 tablet the internal storage will have about 11GB available for storing personal settings and data. In order to free up memory I suggest that you transfer as much data as possible to an SD-card.

Everything will unfortunately not be possible to transfer to the SD-card. You can use the built-in feature to transfer as much as possible by going to Settings > Storage > Transfer data to SD-card.

In order to free up memory on the internal storage there are a few things you can do.
- Delete stored cache, go to Settings > Storage > Internal storage > Pres Cached data > Clear/Delete. Note that some apps will redownload cachedata as soon as you start them again. However this is a good way to free up memory without the risk of losing any personal data. Deleting the cache doesn't delete any user data stored in that applications. The application might need a bit longer to start up the next time. This is not perceivable in most cases.
- You can uninstall apps or updates for the apps, go to Settings > Apps. Here you will be able to find all of the apps installed in your device. I suggest that you go through the list of apps and see if you find anything that you are not using and check if you can uninstall the app or its updates. Note that this will not be possible for most preinstalled apps.

I also recommend setting the Camera-app to automatically save photos on the SD-card.

To change data storage for photos
Activate the camera.
Tap the Settings icon, then select Data storage > SD card.

SHeila309
Visitor

Many thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately, I have tried all your tips. I get the impression that the cache builds up faster than the previous system. 

I can only move about 1.75GB apps to my SD card but then those apps and widgets won't function smoothly. So, at the end I keep reaching 15.00 GB very quickly. I am often on the road, travelling inter countries with limited internet which precludes me from the option of removing and reinstalling apps on the road.

Can I upgrade my 16 GB internal storage to 32 GB with an app (like ssd) somehow?

Thanks, 

Sheila 

Didrik
Enthusiast

Other than what I wrote in my previous post there isn't much that can be done to increase available memory.

To my knowledge there is no way to increase the internal storage. What can be done to increase the amount of memory available is to connect an SD-card to your device. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause for you.

If, however, your apps stop functioning correctly after being transferred to an SD-card I'd suggest you try using another SD-card. Preferably one with a higher class (higher reading/writing speed). Are you still experiencing that your apps still not function correctly then?

probedb
Visitor

It lives! It basically ran it's battery down and switched off, I plugged it into a charger, got the battery indicator and let it charge. Then switched it on again and it works. However still get the same update failed.