Join now - be part of our community!

Bad quality sound with the speakers

Nanashi
Visitor

Bad quality sound with the speakers

Hello everyone,

I've been using the z4 tablet for some days and the sound of the front speakers seems to be pretty bad. There's always a white noise when any sound is played, whether it is a notification, a video or music.

I've had the first tablet exchanged but the second one has exactly the same white noise problem. This does not occur with headphones, so I guess either Sony used bad quality speakers, which I doubt, or there's some software bug.

Anyone experiencing the same thing?
86 REPLIES 86
essern
Visitor

Same issue as you all. On my second replacement now. Wondering if im gonna try my third, or ask for a refund. Really disappointed as i love the tablet. But my ears hurt from the white noise! For reference this is in Norway.

drlmiles1
Contributor

There are a number of posts here where someone has had the Z4 Tablet replaced with another one in the fauty batch, with the same problem. I wonder whether if you buy it in a retail store it will be from a different batch? As far as I can tell, no-one buying one in the UK (where I am) has had this problem, but a number of people in different countries in northern Europe seem to have had this problem

MrPMonkeyD
Visitor

Hi drlmiles

My other half has a Z4 tablet with this problem, we think. Bought from the Sony Shop in Camberley, Surrey, England. White noise during all sound obvious at low levels.

Will let you know how we get on trying to sort it out!

drlmiles1
Contributor

@MrPMonkeyD  Sorry to hear that. I was obviously tempting fate by suggesting no-one in the UK had had this problem...

rebski
Visitor

I own the Z3 Tablet Compact and am so pleased and impressed that I want to get its big brother the Z4 Tablet.

The incidents of bad sound quality has given me pause, while I appreciate that only certain batches seem to be affected nonetheless I am concerned as to what protection is available if I should get one. So I contacted Sony Support and linked them both to this topic and the similar one on XDA Developers
http://forum.xda-developers.com/z4-tablet/help/help-white-noise-z4-t3177162

Sony's reply was less than reassuring, to quote:-
“I can confirm there are no known issues in regards to the Audio on the Xperia Z4 Tablet. You are provided a 24 month manufacturing warranty for your tablet, so if you do buy one and have any issues, whether that be Audio or something else, you can send it into our repair centre and if it has a manufacturing fault then we will repair this free of charge.”

In other words the artefacts that trouble us may not be deemed to be a manufacturing fault. So if the retailer or Sony decide to dig their heels in I could be left high and dry with a device that is unacceptable to my ears.

I have had the very same sound problem several years ago with a laptop bought direct from the shop/manufacturer and who refused to accept it is a fault so I was stuck. Similar to erik_svensson's experience on page 3 of this thread.

I would take the chance and buy a Z4 but only if I am confident that Sony will stand by their product. And at this moment I lack that confidence.

drlmiles1
Contributor

It is very sad that keen Sony fans like @rebski are being put off buying a Z4 tablet by Sony's reluctance (or refusal?) to admit a known problem. 

However, from what I have seen, if you buy your tablet from a STORE, not online, you cane return it to the store, show the problem, and get it changed for another one. Others on this forum have done this (sometimes getting another Z4 Tablet with the same problem...)

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

However, just to add, my lte model from O2 UK does not have the issue described.
rebski
Visitor

Thanks to viridis' reassuring observation I decided to persevere and bought a used O2 model. I checked beforehand with the seller that there were no sound issues.

The sound seems free of the artefacts described here although of not particularly good quality, albeit quite loud. In fact the sound of my Z3 Compact Tablet is more acceptable.

For reference the date on the sticker on the box is 03/08/2015.
The Model sticker reads: SGP771 SI 1294-0810 Rev 3

The tablet itself is superb and a joy to use.

dragonsignite1
Visitor

I received my Z4 tablet (from O2 in the UK) last week. No problems with the audio until yesterday when I got the dreaded low volume fuzz. Exactly the same as Piotre22's recording.

It happens no matter what app I'm using, and whether I use earphones (Apple and Sony) or not. Only detectable when the volume is under 50%. I listen to a lot of quiet relaxation music/ASMR videos to help me sleep and it's just not suitable for that due to the crackling and distortion. That's how I know it only started yesterday - I would have 100% picked up on it right away as I've used it every day since receiving it.

I've tried everything to fix it, changed all the audio settings around and even did a factory reset and a software repair. After seeing the comments on here it seems I have a faulty device. I've arranged an exchange with O2 which won't arrive for another 4-5 days, so I'm anxious to see whether the new one will have the same issue.

I had my original Z Tablet for 3 years and not a single issue, other than it slowing down over time which is expected. I'm so disappointed that they are still sending out problematic devices after a whole year. This isn't the first thread I've seen with this issue. I signed up to the forums to contribute to it in the hope that Sony will acknowledge the problem!
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Interesting,
I still have not experienced this, either headphones or speakers and I too listen sometimes to ASMR videos (though I mostly listen to these with headphones for a better sensation) but as of yet, touch wood, I have not experienced any problem with hissing, fuzzing or anything like that.
I would suggest booting into safe mode to see if it affects the audio, and if so check any apps that may interfere with audio.
If not, back up and perform a repair installation with pc companion to check the speakers from fresh.
If you still are suffering from an issue, contact your local support with details of the problem.