Join now - be part of our community!

Wh-1000xm3 noise cancelling not what I expected

profile.country.GB.title
Jimlibob

Wh-1000xm3 noise cancelling not what I expected

Personally I think the NC on the Wh-1000xm3 I recently purchased is poor, I am currently on train can here the noise of the train, people chatting and the announcements. Not what I would expect that for nearly £300

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
Bayer.S
Explorer

Exactly my critiques. With my previous version headphones I used to be able to sit on a train with nothing playing and NC was practically flawless.

With the xm3s I have no choice but to play something relatively loud to drown out background noise regardless of NC. 

If anything it accentuates a lot of noises I’d normally never notice without wearing the headphones. It’s utterly infuriating and I can’t see myself staying with the brand after this pair. 

I’ve read that certain firmware updates have caused some NC problems but I don’t personally know that for sure. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jimlibob

I reckon they know the NC capability has deteriorated and this is why they are claiming this is how it should be. 

profile.country.GB.title
RobertGourlay
Explorer

Hi mines are the same. NC very poor I primarily bought these for their NC capabilities on an aeroplane as I cannot stand the noise of crying children. Engine noise, people talking, children crying all sounds were very clear and I would get better results with  good pair of ear plugs. Sent headphones to Sony for repair and or upgrade but returned saying all was as it should be. Very very disappointed with this product and also Sony's advertising and marketing of this as noise cancelling as it's clearly not.

profile.country.GB.title
RobertGourlay
Explorer

IMG_20191227_165843.jpg

Sony engineers report

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @RobertGourlay,

please take a screenshot and not a photo of the screen.

This is barely readable.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Jimlibob

Thank you, the strap line 'just your music nothing else' surely breaches advertising guidelines.

profile.country.GB.title
RobertGourlay
Explorer

Hi did you manage to get the NC issue sorted out

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Fontmeister

Can you show the settings on the app? If you look at the second screenshot where the train is selected, this is the most quietest NC mode, cycle through the tabs on top where it shows sitting, walking, running and transport, if you can’t tell a difference between them then you may have a problem. The app looks and works identically on Android and iOS.

7DD17A55-D232-4B80-B428-966CA4D36ABF.pngBF4FCFB1-5607-462B-822B-9E4B490F24D8.png