Join now - be part of our community!

iPhone 11 and WF-1000XM3 – poor sound quality

profile.country.US.title
mkbest

iPhone 11 and WF-1000XM3 – poor sound quality

Hi! I wonder if any of you have experienced the same issue as I have. I've recently switched from iPhone 6s to iPhone 11 and there seem to be some sound quality issues on the 11.

While playing music, after a few seconds of perfect quality, the sound coming from Sony WF-1000xm3 turns muted – it's especially audible in high frequencies. It's as if the sound got compressed to a lower quality. I tried this on two different iPhones 11 and they behave the same way. iPhone 6s, however, still plays music perfectly, even after updating to iOS 13.1.1. All three phones run the same software and I know that there have been some issues with iOS 13.1.1 but they don't seem to affect the older iPhone 6s (or iPad Pro for that matter). Is it possible that the new iPhones use some different codec or Bluetooth version and Sony has to update their companion app in order for the headphones to perform like intended? Or is iPhone 11 just doomed and we'll have to deal with unpleasant sound from now on?

I also checked the sound quality of WH-1000xm2 for comparison and there are no issues with it on any of the devices.

Thank you for any input!

Maciej

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.US.title
mkbest

Yes, I do have 6.0.3 installed. :slight_smile: I check updates several times a day
hoping to see "Headphones" there, listing my issue as being fixed.
profile.country.GB.title
BritPaul

Oh well, I really hope your particular problem is solved soon. Fingers crossed.

If you could see the concerns I‘ve raised with Apple, as a public beta software tester, you’d see the time spent on the Sony Headphone Connect app. This is not the first time.

The launch of iOS 13 has focused on Apple and Beats earbuds and headphones imco.

Sony seems to be in catch up mode for each iOS 13 beta release.

Kind regards,

Paul.
profile.country.US.title
mkbest

iOS 13.1.3 was released today and even though Bluetooth connectivity fixes
are mentioned in the release note, it doesn't help with the sound
compression on WF-1000XM3's.
Is anyone else's experience different?
profile.country.GB.title
BritPaul

Thanks for the update.

My XM2s coupled to an iPhone 6s certainly have no compression. I’ve never experienced that. I’ve listened to my friends XM3s and not noted compression in those either. He has an iPhone XS

We both wanted my own musical signature for our specific tastes, so played around with the exc equaliser function with and without noise cancelling applied.

Below are some excellent and detailed XM3 reviews you might find helpful.

Overear version:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/wh-1000xm3-wireless

Earbud version:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/wf-1000xm3-truly-wireless

Kind regards,

Paul.

‭‭Mob/WhatsApp: (00371) 28020603

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.US.title
mkbest

It seems that iOS 13.2 solved the problem with WF-1000XM3's. The quality
doesn't drop anymore. I almost have tears in my eyes. 😅
Thanks for nothing, Sony. The case is closed.

profile.country.GB.title
ryan7727

Downloaded 13.2 last night and no sound quality drop in almost 2 hours of playback today. Touch wood - it’s solved. Hopefully Sony have/will perform some regression testing on this to identify what went wrong and how to avoid a repeat occurrence in the future.
profile.country.GB.title
alecb4
Explorer

The sound will occasionally break up. it sounds like a phasing error between left and right.

iPhone 11, iOS 13.3

WF-1000XM3 Version 2.0.2

The problem does happen when using Sony WI-1000X or Apple Airpods Pro or WH-1000XM2

I have tested various options (singularly and grouped in a structured test): Ambient Sound Control at various levels, changing pause when taken off, Sound quality mode, DSEE HX off/auto. None make any difference. 

I have a pair of WF-1000X, that I haven't tested yet. I will conduct a test soon.

profile.country.GB.title
alecb4
Explorer

I have tested the WF-1000XM3's using my iPad Mini (current generation). The audio did not break up at all during an hour of testing.

subsequently used with my iPhone 11 and the audio started to break up within 30 seconds.

Either the Bluetooth is handled differently on the iPhone 11 or perhaps it is because I have an Apple Watch paired with the phone.