Join now - be part of our community!

dog ate sony wh1000mx2, what is this piece?

profile.country.GB.title
Bmr2k19
Explorer

dog ate sony wh1000mx2, what is this piece?

hi everyone, 

my dog ate my headset and cut off the wire i show in the picture. the headesets are still working in a decent way playing music, but i am not so sure about the anc. do you guys know what is this piece? 

thankssony.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Bmr2k19,

that is the membrane/driver of the headphones.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Bmr2k19
Explorer

• That little silver buttoit ? And what does it control? 
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Bmr2k19,

there is no button. You are looking at a small loudspeaker-assembly.

Here is the wikipedia article on how a speaker works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Bmr2k19
Explorer

Ok, there is no button, but I didn't know how to call it. But.. If that is a speaker, why does the headset worka fine? Is it a speaker for the anc? 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Bmr2k19,

I don't understand your question.

You are looking at the headphones speaker driver (a small loudspeaker) which has a coil and magnet in the middle (silver part) and a membrane around it which is driven by said coil and magnet.

It doesn't look damaged but the foam above it is gone, which is not needed for the headphones to function.

NC works by having a microphone on the earcup, which records the ambient sounds, this sound is then phase inverted so the amplitudes of the sound played on the headphones combined with the "real" ambient sound cancel out.

On top the headphones play the audio you are playing back normally.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Bmr2k19
Explorer

Here it is, the silver part (the magnet) it is disconnected: in one earcuf you can see that the wire is disconnected (was tore apart by the dog). What does it affect? 

The foam is missing, I know, it was completely destroyed, both of them 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Bmr2k19,

sorry, I actually overlooked that the cable was torn away from the coil. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It means that (unless you re-solder it) the earcup without the cable won't work anymore. No sound, no NC, nothing, since all requires the speaker/driver to work.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Bmr2k19
Explorer

The problem is... That it works! Audio is clear, I also tested it with some specific videos about testing the headsets. I'm non 100% sure about the anc

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Bmr2k19,

seems like I looked it at the wrong way round. The speaker is probably driven from the back, so yes, what is that silver thing... I will do some research and try to find that out.

- Nic