Join now - be part of our community!

Slow Start up

dabm
Visitor

Slow Start up

Hi

I have a VAIO FE21-H, and am pretty happy with it. It used to load windows very quickly. However, start up time now is very long, with windows taking a bit of time to load all of the relevant applications. I'm not too sure why its taking so much longer now, as I have even increased the RAM to 2GB from 1GB. I recently checked, and found that my hard disk is quite fragemented (31%). Could this be the reason? I know hard disk fragmentation slows the computer down, but I did not know it had such an effect.

If anyone knows why windows seems to be slow in starting up, please let me know

The computer is generally fine once windows has loaded everything, even quicker because of the increased RAM. But just takes a while to start up fully.

Thanks
Pete

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Pete - it sounds like your Vaio needs a good Spring Clean !!

Slow startup could be caused by many things - here are a few to try: -

1. Check you are using the correct up to date driver for your Graphics Card - this can cause this sort of delay.
2. Delete the contents of the folder C:\Windows\Prefetch. This partly loads programs you use frequently but if you uninstall something it takes time as it tries to find it. Files in here can also become corrupted or have poor links which again can take up time.
3. Download the free (for 30 days) version of Tune-Up Utilities from www.tune-up,com and run
a The Disc Cleanup
b The Registry Cleanup
c The Registry Defrag
d Startup Manager - see what programs load on boot. You can disable a lot of them that are not needed - for example you will probably a lot of programs trying to load on startup. Adobe Acrobat tries to load programs as does Nero and several others. Just uncheck the box next to programs that are not System programs.
e System Optimiser.
4. When you have done this cleanup it is time to Defragment the hard drive - 31% is quite high and needs attention. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disc Defragmenter. I suspect it will take a while to run on your Vaio as it has a lot of work to do !!

Good Luck

:wink:

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Blencogo is giving you great tips. Use them...there's only one more actually two things you could do....

Diskkeeper has a feature to help you laptop boot faster. Diskkeeper can also defragment your harddisk.

Oh the second thing start using hibernate instead of shutting down your laptop it's worth gold....saves you a lot of time...

tman16
Visitor

hi,

i would say you need to stop some of your programs starting at startup, some you might not even know are starting up to do this go to: Start - Run - Type:"msconfig" - Startup tab. Then scroll down the list unchecking the programs you dont waant to load at startup.

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Hi Pete - it sounds like your Vaio needs a good Spring Clean !!

Slow startup could be caused by many things - here are a few to try: -

1. Check you are using the correct up to date driver for your Graphics Card - this can cause this sort of delay.
2. Delete the contents of the folder C:\Windows\Prefetch. This partly loads programs you use frequently but if you uninstall something it takes time as it tries to find it. Files in here can also become corrupted or have poor links which again can take up time.
3. Download the free (for 30 days) version of Tune-Up Utilities from www.tune-up,com and run
a The Disc Cleanup
b The Registry Cleanup
c The Registry Defrag
d Startup Manager - see what programs load on boot. You can disable a lot of them that are not needed - for example you will probably a lot of programs trying to load on startup. Adobe Acrobat tries to load programs as does Nero and several others. Just uncheck the box next to programs that are not System programs.
e System Optimiser.
4. When you have done this cleanup it is time to Defragment the hard drive - 31% is quite high and needs attention. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disc Defragmenter. I suspect it will take a while to run on your Vaio as it has a lot of work to do !!

Good Luck

:wink:

READ.....you would say...he already said :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi tman16,

Merry Christmas and welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Thank you for trying to help with your first post, hope you stick around.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thank you for trying to help with your first post, hope you stick around.. :slight_smile:

He will :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

steve_parkes
Visitor

Look at your processes and if svchost is using a lot of memory then disable the auto update function of windows. This will return the boot back to its normal times. You will have to run update once a week from the start menu

Steve

ddf
Visitor

One recommandation: i felt my Vaio was slow at startup also but didnt bother too much (was like 2-3 minutes). But i have lately been struggling with what i believed was sound problem (see Realtek sound problem thread), and it turned out to be something completely different (Direct Memory Access setup).

When i applied a solution proposed by Blencongo, who is a Star with a massive S, it solved all evil: no more sound problem, and start up is roughly six zillions times faster. Well as it is supposed to be indeed!

So maybe you should check the IDE settings as proposed in the Realtek sound problem thread?

br
david

profile.country.es_ES.title
pariope41
Visitor

Solution = Hitachi Sata 2,5 7200rpm y 16cache...more faster of the market....awesone