Join now - be part of our community!

recovery discs

ulyssian
Visitor

recovery discs

the recovery utility has stopped 3 times trying to create recovery suite saying error with disc. I dont believe it on 3 in a row. have PCG-8Y3M vista upgraded to ultimate. I have also installed other software prior to trying to build the recovery suite.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hugh

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ulyssian and welcome to the forum.

Have you tried different brands of media? I would recommend:

Verbatim
TDK
Sony
Any with Ritek R4 coating

There may also be an updated version of the Recovery Utility for your model that we can point you at but PCG-8Y3M is not the correct reference for you model. It will probably start with VGN… Have a closer look on both the screen surround and the underside of your notebook.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't know the answer to this but I would check with Sony if the Vaio Recovery Utility works with anything other than the original OEM Operating System. I have my doubts!
:thinking:

HITS-UK
Visitor

(a) Sony does not support Ultimate - only its shipped version of the OS.

(b) It is our experience that the disc creation routine for latops and desktops is fundamentally flawed and even if you do successfully create the media (as we have done on countless occasions) they rarely work in an emergency.

The lack of a 2 buck DVD to act as a proper recovery disk is still the most mind-boggling cheapskate issue that this sad act of a company has to address. Their products are good (when they work) but their support and bloatware is apallingly bad and has never been satisfactorily addressed. Add into that mix the disaster called 'product registration' and 'e-support' and I am surprised that anyone outside the industry buys these products.

PS: Best price for the UX1XN in the UK - boxed, legal and from an authorised reseller: £870 plus VAT ... getting to be better priced.