Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio UX1XN - Pre-Sales Problem

HITS-UK
Visitor

Vaio UX1XN - Pre-Sales Problem

I have just joined HITS-UK and have been presented with a problem which I cannot find an answer for.

The new Sony Vaio UX1XN UMPC does not list a CD/DVD drive which will work with it. How are we expected to get software onto it? We have one on order for our MD and we have another six on back order, but I do not know much about these.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Jack Penrice

6 REPLIES 6
davemee
Visitor

I have just joined HITS-UK and have been presented with a problem which I cannot find an answer for. 

The new Sony Vaio UX1XN UMPC does not list a CD/DVD drive which will work with it. How are we expected to get software onto it? We have one on order for our MD and we have another six on back order, but I do not know much about these.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Jack Penrice

USB sticks? Network mounts? Downloads from a server? off a Firewire or USB drive?

USB DVD/CD roms are ten a penny at the minute.

Didn't you check this out *before* purchase?!?

HITS-UK
Visitor

Thank you for the reply. Useless, but thank you.

For those more familiar with Sony's Weasel Words (also known as Warranty Conditions) you should be aware that if you use a device that is NOT certified for use with a Sony system, they can decline warranty leaving you with a VERY expensive mistake.

The UX1XN uses the same PSU as the U8G (which my MD currently uses when he is travelling). The docking station allows the optional CD/DVD drive (PCGA-DDRW2) to be plugged in thereby allowing software installation through an 'approved' device. I was hoping that someone would have used this or know if this will work with the UX1XN to save us all a lot of trouble when we are installing software in the field.

Thank you

Jack

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Jack,

Your MD might remember me :slight_smile: - pass on my regards.

I think you can just put on a USB DVD drive - it doesn't really matter what make or model, but as you say this really should be outlined at sales time :slight_frown:

As davemee put it so nicely you can use a MS stick too, or just network it up via WLAN.

HITS-UK
Visitor

Dear Vaio Forum,

Firstly to Kee-Lo, a message has been left on his mobile passing your greetings.

Secondly with regard to the Vaio UX1XN, it will NOT use all the same accessories as the U8G (or similar). It does, however, come with a huge amount of software on it - most of which is either trialware or simply useless. How can Sony justify placing a 30Gb hard drive into a system and then leaving less than 10Gb of useable storage space? This is completely unacceptable behaviour. Glad it's not my budget that's buying these things but I will make a strong recommendation that all future purchases have an additional day added on for support personnel to do a decent build of Vista and not one that should be called Vista Sony Marketing Business and Advertising.

Does every Sony come like this or is it just to annoy professionals?

Jack

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Jack,

Thanks for leaving the message, it's apriciated :smileygrin:

I feel the same way as you about computers, a lot of them now, specially Sony and Dell leave a lot of trial stuff on, like Google Toolbar etc and really a lot of experienced users don't want it, or will install it themselves. Why can't they install useful stuff like Firefox?

Did you sort out your optical problem?

HITS-UK
Visitor

Vowed I would never write on this forum again following Nico's comments but this is too important.

The UX1XN's description on Sony's presentation and what you actually get when you buy the unit are completely different.

Sony's Description (after thepresentation click accessories link)

What you get in the box does NOT include the long life battery, leather case or LCD screen protectors - all of which would add in excess of another £250 to the price for the unit.

Yet another example (on top of what Jack stated) of dropping standards within the 'service' industry which you and I are expected to pay for - and be grateful. Should have stuck to my guns and dropped Sony but the product line is - essentially - good, just misrepresented with terrible support and contact options.

DW