Join now - be part of our community!

RX10M4 Manual focus.

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

RX10M4 Manual focus.

I love photographing the heavens, the moon etc. where AF is useless so Manual Focus has to be used.

I am really struggling to make it work. Last night, the moon being quite bright, the AF worked a treat but not the MF.

I set the magnification to ON and MODE to "M" and focus to "M"

On turning the focus ring the moon immediately appeared as a large, blurred light on the screen and as I turned the ring one way or the other nothing seemed to happen. Turning one way, slowly, the image seemed to start to come in to focus, but never sharp just less blurred. Turning back the other way the same thing, the light starts to reduce in size but then goes back out again, never getting sharp.

Is there a technique for using this manual focus? The moon is one thing where AF can usually be used but for star clusters there just isn't enough light for it to work and MF is a must.

This was auto focus and quite acceptable!

MJD02743.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Hopefully a photographer in the community might be able to advise you on this, or you could get in touch with the Sony Support team here who will be able to help.

Best wishes,

Sean

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

I have contacted Sony Europe with this and they came back advising that:

1/. Make sure you have the latest firmware - yes V2

2/. Re Initialise the camera - which is a pain as you lose all your settings and information - but I did.

Now need to try out the MF and see how it behaves! I find it very "sloppy" difficult to get precise mo cement of the focusing elements.

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

I'm still not convinced it is working how it should (or I would like) but then I'm used to positive, mechanical focus on things like a Canon or Fuji 100-400 lens!