Join now - be part of our community!

RX10 M4 - significant lens wobble

profile.country.GB.title
jarda-72
Explorer

RX10 M4 - significant lens wobble

Hi,

3 months ago I bought a new Sony DSC-RX10M4. Overall I am pleased with the camera, in many aspects more than happy (fast phase detection autofocus is really impressive), but there are also some issues that really concern me.

The main issue is probably very loose and wobbly lens barrel which I believe can affect image quality of the photos. When I compare the sharpness of my images with the images of other RX10IV users seen on internet, I have to say that IQ of my pictures is far away from those.

I know that it could be operator’s error, but I am pretty familiar with basic photographic techniques, and have to say that in many cases I did have better results from my previous 12-year old Panasonic Lumix FZ18 with much smaller sensor, and this is rather worrying for me. I would like to believe there is nothing wrong with the camera, but the rattling loose lens barrel does not support that feeling. It might be there must be some movement tolerance, but what I can see and hear is rather too much and I think it can be a reason for not getting really sharp images. The inner barrel wobbles practically on any zoom range apart from the widest 24mm. The footage on the first video below demonstrates this issue:

https://jk72.rajce.idnes.cz/RX10M4_behaviour/

For example, when I shoot outdoors and aim from horizontal to nearly vertical position (or vice versa), sometimes I can hear and feel a loud thud, when the inner barrel drops because of its own weight. I don’t know how much it affects the image quality, but it does not seem right, especially on this kind of rather premium product. I think that this wobbling can lead to decentering and focus errors, and zoom barrel movement will affect image quality. It can also be a real problem when shooting videos.

There is also another clicking sound when camera tilted slightly up or down from horizontal position, which I also do not know if it is right or not, but this is not caused by lens barrel wobbling, this is something else – I have recorded this on the other 2 video shots from the link above.

Based on my feelings, I really do not know if the issues described above are quite normal or not, but if there is a possibility that something is not right with my camera, I would like to sort it out as long as it is under warranty.

Any ideas or similar experience?

Many thanks for reply   

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community. 

I'd recommend getting in touch with the Sony Support team here who will be able to advise you.

Best wishes,

Sean 

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Umm, I occasionally hear a "clunk", can't remember when,  but the outside barrel is quite firm and haven't noticed any problems with picture quality.

profile.country.GB.title
jarda-72
Explorer

Hi all,

Thank you for replies, I have already contacted Sony Support team so hopefully my problem will be soon resolved.   

Jarda