Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KD32W800

profile.country.IE.title
johntheo

Sony Bravia KD32W800

Bought one of these recently. it has a Freeview tuner, I also have a external Freesat box. I have my (rabbits ears) Antenna cable plugged into the TV socket and the Freesat box cable into the TV HDMI 1 socket, the Satellite cable is plugged into the Freesat box. Works fine as set up, I just select HDMI 1 for my Freesat stations and select Freeview Live TV which gives me the usual Irish channels, known as Saorview, after scanning in "Antenna" mode.                               

If I connect the Satellite cable into the TV port (with the antenna remaining in the TV socket and I change the TV tuner from antenna to satellite and do a scan on my usual Astra2 28.2E, to get all the free to air channels, I get the hundreds of Freeview channels but I lose all the Irish channels that I had via the antenna tuning (of the Freeview TV tuner). In other words, I only seem to either have the Satellite scanned channels OR the Antenna scanned channels, but not both. Can I have both the Satellite channels and the antenna channels available together without using a external box, like I have on my KDL32W5810, no external box required (and I have Freesat, even better than Freeview for me.). I have carried out a factory reset and scanned with both the Antenna and the Satellite cables plugged into the TV, but still can only get one or the other.

Specifications Of the Sony Bravia KD32W800

NUMBER OF TUNERS (TERRESTRIAL/CABLE)

1(Digital/Analog)

NUMBER OF TUNERS (SAT)

TV SYSTEM (ANALOG)

B/G,D/K,L

TUNER CHANNEL COVERAGE (ANALOG)

45.25MHz-863.25MHz(Depend on country/area selection)

TV SYSTEM (DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL)

DVB-T/T2

TUNER CHANNEL COVERAGE (DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL)

VHF/UHF(Depend on country selection)

TV SYSTEM (DIGITAL CABLE)

DVB-C

TUNER CHANNEL COVERAGE (DIGITAL CABLE)

VHF/UHF/cable, Depend on country selection

TV SYSTEM (DIGITAL SAT)

DVB-S/S2

TUNER CHANNEL COVERAGE (DIGITAL SAT)

Intermediate Frequency 950-2150MHz

CI+

Yes

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.IE.title
johntheo

NO, I mean Freeview, I can get either Freeview or Saorview depending on the last scanned, Satellite or Antenna, if last scan is on Satellite thenFreesat shows on "Interactive Channels" list but when i select it I get nothing.

Another Reply from Sony even though its not about my TV.

With reference to your enquiry regarding your XR-77A84K, please note that you should be able to get both satellite and digital channels, please make sure to tune as per the guide below:
https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iaepm1/v1/en/2_2_3_satellite_installation.html
You should get the option to switch between both sources normally, if this is not happening, please follow the below steps:
In attempt to resolve the issue, kindly find the troubleshooting steps below:
- Clear the cached data from the TV internal shared storage following the below steps:
(Home - Settings - Device Preferences - Storage - Internal Shared Storage - Cached Data - Clear).
- Perform factory reset following the below:
https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/haep1/v1/en/08-01_03.html
If the issue remains, please reply with the below for further investigation:
Did you experience the same problem with the previous software version?
How does your TV receive its broadcast signal?
Do you use a CAM card?
Do you use a set-top box?
Please provide steps to reproduce this problem/ a short video.
Is there any workaround or solution found to this problem?
If the answer above is yes, please describe the work-around or solution?
Any other additional information to add?
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@johntheo 

Im a bit lost here 😢

You do a Satellite Rescan in order to get the terrestrial Freeview channels?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.IE.title
johntheo

As I said in a previous post below, so yes, I have to do a full satellite scan, a "satellite Rescan" as a "satellite update" has wiped out all the previous satellite full scan (satellite rescan)channels despite saying or implieng that they are all ready saved somewhere which I interpret to mean that a satellite update should only add, if any, extra channels to my allready saved channels but this is not the case, see below.

"if i have done the last scan on the antenna (which gives me Saorview only) and then go back to to Satellite, it gives two choices, Satellite Rescan or Satellite Update, if I select Satellite Rescan it asks if I want to carry on as I will lose all the allready saved channels which implies that the channels are stored somewhere,  if I select Satellite Update it doesn't find any more channels which makes sense but if I then go to Freeview expecting to see my allready "saved" channels then I only get 4 or 5 channels in all so i just do a full Satellite Rescan again."

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@johntheo 

I think the Channel Rescan will always warn you that it will wipe any saved channels, even if this was the first time you had used it on a brand new or Factory Reset TV.

Buti still don’t think you and I can be using the same definition of Freeview?

To me, that is strictly only what you get when doing a terrestrial scan of the GB channels. But I wonder if you are not using it to refer to channels you get on Freesat, in contrast to terrestrial channels you get from Eire?

Because if a satellite rescan is making terrestrial channels (re)appear, that is something weirder than I imagined.

profile.country.IE.title
johntheo

I'm certainly not getting Freesat as all the channel numbers are different to what I get on Freeview or perhaps better to call it Free to Air since I am beamed from Astra 28.2E, (Astra 28.2E can also be used in the UK?) 

Re Satellite Rescan etc. If I do a factory reset and do a full satellite scan which I have done and a few days later I do a Satellite UPdate then it picks up a few more channels, maybe 5 or so which I think would be logical to think are added on to my hundreds of allready scanned channels but when I view these in Freeview Play all I have is the few useless channels that the Satellite Update found which, in turn seems to have wiped out the rescanned ones which doesn't make sense to me even though its not a problem as I just do a satellite rescan (I don't use/try satellite update anymore) and get back all the hundreds of Freeview or Free to Air or whatever you may like to call them.

If I now remove the Satellite F connector and connect it to my (Manhatten) Freesat box I have all the Freeview (or call it  Free to air) channels on Freeview Play and when I change the source to HTMLI1 (where my box is connected to the TV), I get all the Freesat channels. However I dont require that setup so I just do a scan with the antenna cable and I get all the Saorview (Irish) channels on Freeviw Play and I just switch sources between Freeview Play and HTMLI1 to give me the Freesat channels from the Manhatten Box.

profile.country.IE.title
johntheo

Sorry, should have said, if I leave the F connector in the TV then I get all the Freview channels, I only remove that and install it in the manhatten box after scanning the Saorview channels with the antenna cable, so I'm left with the Saorview channels on Freeview Play and all the FReesat channels from the Manhatted box with the satellite F connector connected into the Manhatten box.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@johntheo 

Ah, we are at cross-purposes then, and will remain so if using terms differently 😢

Channels received on a satellite connection can be, essentially one of two things:-

A collection of encrypted subscription or unencrypted free to air channels in a number of languages with Now&Next, which has no special name, though FTA is good  OR

A curated collection of UK channels with a full 7-day programme guide, which is called Freesat.

The channels received on Freesat will largely be the same as the channels received on Freeview, (which is what you get by tuning to the aerial signal in the UK), but they largely won’t have the same channel numbers as on Freeview, and there will be extra channels on Freesat that aren’t on Freeview.

Freeview Play refers to TVs and other terrestrially tunable devices, like PVRs, that use certified software that additionally supports an EPG that goes 7 days back and 7 days forward and all the catchup players available from the terrestrial broadcasters.

And there are no Freeview Play programmes as such, just Freeview programmes delivered that way.

And your TV is Android, though I am surprised to find it is Freeview Play as well.

I am assuming Saorview is the Eire equivalent of the UK’s Freeview service, terrestrially tuned, with its programmes not available on Freesat (though maybe Eire has an equivalent of that?), though possibly available FTA, possibly not.

I’m still not seeing why you need to tune the TV from the F connector (satellite/Freesat) at all though; why not just tune it from the antenna for the Saorview channels, and the Manhattan from the F Connector/dish for the Freesat Channels?

Then it won’t matter that the TV can’t support satellite-tuned channels alongside aerial-tuned ones?

So I am probably still missing something here 😢

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Duplicate, please ignore 😢

profile.country.IE.title
johntheo

And there are no Freeview Play programmes as such, just Freeview programmes delivered that way.
And your TV is Android, though I am surprised to find it is Freeview Play as well.

When I refer to Freeview Live it refers to one of the available sources whether I'm looking at Saorview or Free to air, the sources  are Freeview Live TV, HDMLI 1, (2&3), and Android TV Home. When I require Saorview, which I do normally, I just do a antenna scan and when I select Freeview Live TV it gives me the Saorview channels, if I do a satellite scan and select (the same) Freeview Live TV I get all the free to air channels, I do run it in the former mode, Saorview (scanned) via the antenna and the satellite F connector in the Manhattan Freesat box, I have this box for years and it required no tuning, I just plugged the satellite F connector into it and it transmits its channels via HTMLI1, it picks up all the freesat channels from some UK post code that I entered in it years ago.(W2 2EL)

I am assuming Saorview is the Eire equivalent of the UK’s Freeview service, terrestrially tuned, with its programmes not available on Freesat (though maybe Eire has an equivalent of that?), though possibly available FTA, possibly not.

I’m still not seeing why you need to tune the TV from the F connector (satellite/Freesat) at all though; why not just tune it from the antenna for the Saorview channels, and the Manhattan from the F Connector/dish for the Freesat Channels?

This is the way its setup, (I do the scan with the antennaa and when I select Freeview Live TV I get Saorview)

When I refer to Freeview Live it refers to one of the available sources whether I'm looking at Saorview or Free to air, the 3 sources are Freeview Live TV, HDMLI 1, (2&3), and Android TV Home. When I require Saorview, which I do normally, I just do a antenna scan and when I select Freeview Live TV it gives me the Saorview channels, if I do a satellite scan and select Freeview Live TV I get all the free to air channels, I do run it in the former mode, Saorview (scanned) via the antenna and satellite F connector in the Manhattan Freesat box, I have this box for years and it required no tuning, I just plugged the satellite F connector into it and it transmits its channels via HTMLI1

Then it won’t matter that the TV can’t support satellite-tuned channels alongside aerial-tuned ones?

Answer, as above.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@johntheo 

Got it at last! All terminology….

So you have a UK model TV, although you are in, or near, Eire, and whatever you tune in appears under the heading Freeview Live TV. (Which may be a fixed heading, or it maybe something you can edit).

But if you tune with the aerial, you get Soarview channels there, and if you tune with the satellite connector, you get the Free To Air satellite channels.

So one or the other, but never both. And no option of Freesat, though you get that from the Manhattan in an HDMI port.

So a bit limited, this TV, but you can bend it to your will, at least.