Join now - be part of our community!

A80L AppleTV app, "sign in" just keeps spinning

profile.country.SE.title
prefect47
Explorer

A80L AppleTV app, "sign in" just keeps spinning

Just got an A80L, plugged in with LAN and installed latest SW update. All is good and streaming services work - except Apple TV.

The app starts and links/suggestions to content gets me to the main screen.

Starting the app directly gets me to a screen with a single "sign in" button.

The issue is that any attempt to actually sign in just shows a classic grey screen with a small spinner in the middle, which doesn't go away. Waited 10mins and no progress.

The account works just fine on my Chromecast Google TV which does however use WiFi, not that I see why that would make a difference.

Is it simply that the TV is not approved by Apple yet or some annoying reason like that?

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hi,

Did you try unplugging your TV from the mains for 2 minutes and test it after that without any external device? This trick works like magic for all electronic devices these days :slight_smile:

Also, you can try removing the app entirely and downloading it again from the Google Play Store.

Let us know the outcome! :slight_smile:

profile.country.SE.title
prefect47
Explorer

Tried both ideas to no avail. The only external device is my Onkyo sound system on the ARC HDMI port, and the LAN cable that goes straight to a router.

The Apple TV app is pre-installed and not uninstallable so I could only uninstall the updates and clear the app storage, after which it complained about missing any network connection.

After updating the app it's back to my original problem.

I also tried switching to WiFi but that didn't help. My Chromecast which is in another TV still has no issues accessing Apple TV, however it is already signed in.

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hi,

I'd suggest in this case, that you try to clear app cache and data: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00202472

If this didn't help, you can try a factory data reset to the TV

profile.country.SE.title
prefect47
Explorer

I already tries clearing the app, un to uninstall it's updates. Did not help unfortunately.

The TV is brand new, less that two weeks, so I don't think a factory reset should make a difference?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@prefect47 

It always makes a difference.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hi,

I'd also recommend that you check if the SW of your TV is up-to-date:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a80l_a83l_a84l-series/xr-55a80l/software...

Also, try the factory data reset, it works like magic for this kind of issues: 

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors/articles/00274122

profile.country.SE.title
prefect47
Explorer

The SW is up-to-date as mentioned earlier.

A factory data reset did not help, but as others seem to have the same problem with Apple TV on Sony TVs that was not surprising 🙂

The one thing I noticed was that during the SUW I has asked about background processed like HbbTV and various ad and data collection services, all of which I of course avoided enabling as much as possible. These were not there on the Chromecast Google TV as far as I remember so they should not have anything to do with Apple TV anyway.

Piscie
Community Team

Hello @prefect47, does this issue happen with Apple TV app only? Have you tried to clear the Google Play Services and Google Play Store (Home-Settings-Apps-Scroll down to Google Play Services and Google Play Store- Storage-Clear Cache & Data). Also, does it still give you the same sign in message even after the reset? Have you tried LAN and different WiFi networks as well? 

profile.country.SE.title
prefect47
Explorer

Hi @Piscie 

It only happens with the AppleTV app that I have noticed. I just tried clearing the Google Play Services data and cache and it did not make a difference. BTW how would Google Play Store affect the AppleTV app?

I don't get any message when signing in, just the standard Apple grey spinner. I have tried on both LAN and WiFi and like I wrote, the app works fine on the CCGTV on the same wifi. Although since the package name of the AppleTV app contains "sony" on the TV I suppose they have a custom app on Sony TV:s?