Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@Deanfeuillade

Hi

did you try registering the 3D glasses. You need to do that before using it for the first time.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Kevwoods12 wrote:

So all the Motionflow refresh rates are the same? 

Not what I've read..... 

It's vanishingly unlikely the MotionFlow rates are different, and the comments from a real live Sony salesperson seem to confirm that.

I think that whoever was constructing the spec table for these TVs forgot to hold down CTRL while dragging what was supposed to be the same value across these models in an Excel spreadsheet 🙂

I'm firmly sticking with my bezel/stand colour explanation. Which, even if my Motionflow hypothesis fell to the ground, is still borne out both by the comparison charts and physical inspection of two out of three of these models,

Unless they need different MotionFlow rates to counteract the relative shininess, or otherwise, of the different trim materials?  No, thought not........ 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Kevwoods12

Lol! Don't be so defensive. I'm sure the "Sony" bod  was right in John Lewis,  they always tell the truth when trying to flog something don't they? 

I'm sure there's no difference between 800hz and 1000hz really.... 

1337domz
Explorer

I've got a 55" 2015 Sony and these Samsung 3D glasses work perfectly

Also very reasonably priced at £15 for a pair!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BMQUKJW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_1i4uwb1YJZWNY

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Kevwoods12 wrote:

Lol! Don't be so defensive. I'm sure the "Sony" bod  was right in John Lewis,  they always tell the truth when trying to flog something don't they? 

I'm sure there's no difference between 800hz and 1000hz really.... 

Hi Keywood

LOL Indeed 🙂

But though those spuriously differing refresh rates bugged me when I first saw them, I didn't realise they could cause this much confusion.

And when it comes down choosing something that is going to support the TV, I think it's only right to take a stand... 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Kevwoods12

I tried a pair of last year's Sony Bluetooth glasses,  my dad's got 2014 1080p set, and they worked fine.  I think the trick is to start the film playing then go into the action menu and press 3d, and not the other way around. 

Holdski

Here's my list of issues with my 65w855c.

Dirty screen effect. 

Remote stops working. 

Terrible lip sync. 

Random reboots. 

TV refuses to turn off randomly. 

All inputs forget their picture settings. 

WiFi disconnects. 

Bluetooth turns off randomly. 

Some apps refuse to open. 

Crackly sound upon resuming after fast forwarding on virgin tivo. 

An input has appeared in the list named playback_3.

Sound but no picture when turning off.

There are others that slip my mind at the moment and when I contact sony all I get is a generic "update your software" reply.

Are any of these issues new to anyone on here as I'm getting seriously annoyed with this tv now.  

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

There is no such thing a 800 or 1000hz TV. The motionflow number ( motion clarity index or whatever you want to call it depending on manufacturer )  etc is a pretty much made up marketing number given to the alleged post processing quality of the TV's hardware. LG used to claim that their plasma's were 600hz, but they were actually just a 60hz panel and the back lighting phosphorus could emit 10 times per second, hence 600hz. pure marketing nonsense.

As I predominantly use my Sony as a Games console and Gaming PC monitor, I always have the post processing turned off anyway to cut down on input lag, although to be fair to Sony they have one of the best input lag rates WITH all post processing effects still enabled compared to most. 

I have the 55" KDX8509c 2015 Sony Bravia. It has active 3d and the panel is a 120hz panel. Hook up a pc with a decent  graphics card and you can output 1080p@120hz and game locked at 120fps if you have the graphical enabled grunt to do so. This is the maximum hz that this TV is capable of displaying. It's claimed it has a motionflow rate of 1000, but at the end of the day, it's still only a 120hz panel. 

Kevwoods12

That's it,  Sony make the backlight blink 8.3 times a second to get 1000hz. 

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Haha. Made me laugh..... Could be true though, lol.