Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

Sorry to ask this again.

Can anyone confirm that 3D is working properly before I waste £100 on a pair of specs?

profile.country.GB.title
MartiB47
Explorer

Lets hope the December update fixes a few more issues that exist with current functionality. I have the 49X8309C model and besides the poor screen (IPS with some DSE and corner light bleed) the Youtube app always plays back with the sound and video out of sync. The Amazon Prime / Instant Video app is better in this respect but still does not playback 5.1 even in DD (most 5.1 on Amazon is DD+). However, I do have an Amazon Fire TV and except for no UHD, 5.1 DD+ is fine via HDMI and the Youtube app has perfect sound and video sync. The ommison of UHD is not too bad as the Sony X1 chip does a good job of upscalling HD. Unless Amazon's UHD has high frame rates (it does not) and 10bit colour or better I doubt the extra resolution would be particularly noticable.

Best just to use this TV with external sources or just Freeview/Youview. Once the Youtube app has been used or Amazon I find it best to powercycle the TV.

I live with my TV because I mainly use external sources but I shall be checking the price of the Panasonic 50CX802 on Friday or at the post Christmas sales, currently £1169 at JL, will it drop to £999 or below?

Deanfeuillade

I gave up a while back after trying 8 pairs!

I couldn't get one pair of glasses to pair with the TV. The guys in my local Sony shop couldn't get any to work on their 50W809C either. There has been a couple of updates since then (although one was YouView only) and I haven't bothered to try again since.

cozzykim

My picture froze today while watching Youview (Quest), which I don't normally do because I watch FreeSat/Humax HDR.

It stayed frozen for a couple of minutes, then the TV rebooted.

Once it restarted, on the 'Home' page, I then did 'Watch TV' and it restored the correct channel and has been OK since.

Still not acceptable for a £1300 TV

I'm teetering on the edge of returning to JL under SOG/NFFP now.

The lack of intermediate bug fixes is what's pushing me to this decision, as Sony are obviously not committed to fixing this, it's not good enough to promise firmware upgrades at this rate, because it's relying on us not being able to return them after the normal short retailer return periods.

Is this a cynical policy decision I wonder?

moll51
Explorer

I bought the KD55 X8507C 1st Sept this year and have discoverd an anoying problem where I cant turn it off. this occurs after watching TV via a Sky box using a Sony receiver  and HDMI connections. All switches on  ok and the picture is great. But, when (after watching for an hour or so) i press the green off button on the remote the tv goes dark and the light below the Sony logo stays on. The TV wont turn off.....

I then have to hold down the green button for 5-10 sec and the TV reboots, at which point i can turn the TV off..

Software is upto date and i dont use the smart tv funtionality at all. Sony Tech support are poor and have escalated the case but this will take 48 hours, they did say it will be ok after the next firmware update but dont know when its comming. Their answer is to turn the tv of at the wall in the mean time.....

Has anyone else had this issue?

Any ideas??????  

cozzykim

Somebody at Sony should wake up and realise that this policy of infrequent large updates is losing them credibility, customers, and respect.

I don't know how many times it has been said here, but most of us would prefer to have the bugs and instability fixed first, as we know that large updates just introduce more bugs, without the guarantee of fixing the old ones.

profile.country.GB.title
nodrog47

moll51

My KD43x8305 is the same but I have to turn off power at 13a socket to reset,HWMBO is giving me grief for buying this tv to replace our excellent Sony KDL-37W5500 which we had for 5 years with not one problem.

notime
Explorer

Not only can I not go back in time with ITV, have the same problem with Chanel 4 and Demand 5. Got dispirited and haven't bothered checking any other chanels as yet. BBC is fine 

profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@Deanfeuillade

Can you please check if the Blue Tooth is enabled in the TV as the 3D glasses are BT.

Deanfeuillade

@Shalendran

Thanks for that. I did try that but it was a while back and I tried with all 8 pairs. It was just after the July update and I haven't bothered since any of the newer updates.

i may give it a go again but this time I will get the guys in the Sony store to test them on their sets before I leave with the glasses.

They couldn't get any of the pairs on the shells to work with their sets and I laughed my butt off when they tried to call the help desk!!!

in the end they gave up as well and I left with my refund.