Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Dobbs3
Explorer

HI folks,

Currys agreed to take back my Sony and last night I exhanged it for a Panasonic.  This was arranged in advance with their customer service department:

SCCCustomerSolutionsTeam@knowhow.com

It took just 15 mins to to the paperwork and have a nice new Panasonic loaded into the back of the car.

Currys accepted the lack of HDD recording as a good reason for the return and (under the sale of goods act) processed my request without any problems:

"I was concerned to learn of the issues you have been experiencing with your Sony television.  Please accept my apologies for the frustration and inconvenience you have suffered as a result.  We strive to offer the best customer service, so it is disappointing to hear when this has not been the case.  As a result of the issues you have encountered, I am happy to authorise for an exchange on the unit.  The details for this have been sent to the Drakehouse branch and as such, please visit the store at your earliest convenience for this to be processed for you.

Once again, I apologise for the inconvenience you have suffered but trust the above provides you with a satisfactory outcome.  Please feel free to contact me on the number listed below or alternatively, by return email."

I hope that this helps set a precidence for others in this form to return their Sony TV's.  I've been a life-long fan of Sony but the release of this range of TVs has clearly been rushed and as such they never should have been released to the public (us).  I'll think twice before buying Sony in the future.

I wish you all the best of luck, either with Sony fixing the software issues or with returning the TVs to the store.

Thanks folks.

profile.country.GB.title
Folkfanger

@1337domz Thanks. Samsung glasses eh! Maybe I should get a Samsung TV to go with them.

I can't believe I'm talking this way. 5 years ago when I bought my previous Sony TV I would sneer at people who bought the likes of Samsung an Panasonic just to save on cost.

SDCEGavster

@Kevwoods12 wrote:

Lol! Don't be so defensive. I'm sure the "Sony" bod  was right in John Lewis,  they always tell the truth when trying to flog something don't they? 

I'm sure there's no difference between 800hz and 1000hz really.... 

Guys, trust me on this one. [I'm ex-Sony] and I asked the 'Sony' salesperson in John Lewis a number of times. I quoted the Sony website stating the various MotionFlow figures and he categorically stated that the website was incorrect.

I will ask the Chief Art Director who designed the TVs! Hopefully he will know. Can't say fairer than that. 

Spoiler
:handshake:
mikeyd0407

Hi Dobbs3,

Can you please state what your exact wording was as part of your defense in returning the TV due to miss-selling against the SOG act?

Many thanks

Michael

Dobbs3
Explorer

Hi,

The email was as follows:

Good afternoon,

Under the sales of Goods Act 1979 I would like to exchange the Sony TV (KDL-50W809C) I purchased on the 15th of Oct due to it not being as described – the lack of HDD recording specifically is the primary reason for the exchange.  This was advertised by Sony and also shown on your web site, but the TV does not have this feature.

I wish to return the TV to my local store (Currys PC World, Unit 8 Drake House) and exchange for a Panasonic VIERA TX-55CX400B 0 - I am happy to pay the additional cost involved as the Panasonic is a little more expensive.

Please can you authorise the return and let me know the details so that I can pass these onto the helpful in-store staff.

Many thanks,

I think that as I went for an exhange rather than a refund, Curry's were happy to take back the Sony - I needed a TV afterall and found that although Currys were a little more expensive than buying online, it was good to go into the shop, chat with the sales staff and purchase from a big retailer.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning All

I have had confirmation from Sony that the MotionFlow rates are indeed different on the models and that the specifications on this website are correct.

MotionFlow Rates:

X8505C -> 800Hz

X8507C -> 900Hz

X8508C -> 1000Hz

X8509C -> 1000Hz

Cheers

SDCEGavster

@Quinnicus wrote:

Good Morning All

I have had confirmation from Sony that the MotionFlow rates are indeed different on the models and that the specifications on this website are correct.

MotionFlow Rates:

X8505C -> 800Hz

X8507C -> 900Hz

X8508C -> 1000Hz

X8509C -> 1000Hz

Cheers

Who at Sony confirmed those specs, may I ask?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SDCEGavster - ive sent you a private message

rdlowry

I've decided to return my KDL-43W755C which I purchased in July. After months following these forums and persevering with this set I finally decided I've had enough. Luckily my retailer has been very accommodating and has allowed me to return the set and bundled sound bar for a full refund or store credit. Good luck to all of you, I hope Sony fulfill their promises.
frankie1g

YAY a new fault last night.

BT remote always needs batteries removing to get it to work. That not new.

But now it has a hi pitched whistle coming from it. How clever is that sony.

A singing remote i bet you all want one when watching a  film and your remotes singing away