Join now - be part of our community!

Nex 6 viewfinder issue

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
newhopeful
Visitor

Nex 6 viewfinder issue

I just bought my Nex 6 and am generally very pleased. However, the viewfinder brightness is not good for composing scenes outdoors (indoors is fine). I have experimented with various LCD and viewfinder brightness settings and best I can get still is a poor comparison to optical viewfinders. Am I just expecting too much?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

I would look for some (3rd party) LCD hood for the NEX-6. I do not know if someone already offers it but for other NEX cameras they are available at low cost (around 10 €).

The eyepiece hood for the EVF on the NEX-6 is not perfectly suitable for people wearing glasses and when using the EVF in bright light outdoors.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cmosse
Contributor

the OLED can not reproduce the high contrast of a sunlight scene outdoors and therefore the impression will vary compared when looking through an OVF. I found however that the NEX-6 OVF is one of the best EVF currently on the market, so we have to wait for more improvements in regard to dynamic range in future EVF technology.

Make sure you are using the eyepiece cup to block straylight out of the viewfinder.

Best Regards

Michael

profile.country.en_GB.title
newhopeful
Visitor

Thanks. Yes I am using the eyepiece but wearing glasses doesn't help with blocking stray light! I have experimented a bit more and found that centre weighting the exposure (rather than overall weighting) improves the viewfinder characteristics markedly. Will have to see if this is generally acceptable for finsihed photos.

cmosse
Contributor

I would look for some (3rd party) LCD hood for the NEX-6. I do not know if someone already offers it but for other NEX cameras they are available at low cost (around 10 €).

The eyepiece hood for the EVF on the NEX-6 is not perfectly suitable for people wearing glasses and when using the EVF in bright light outdoors.