Join now - be part of our community!

NEX 5R power adapter

profile.country.en_GB.title
Sooya123
Visitor

NEX 5R power adapter

I have a NEX 5R with the USB cord which attaches to the mains power USB plug that came with it. Is there anyway I can operate the camera whilst it's connected? Seems a total pain to have to buy the power adapter as well.

The way the time-lapse app chews up battery it would appear there's no way to run it without having power attached (2% of battery a min for one still a min!) and would also be useful for being able to run it in wifi sharing mode.

Many thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Sooya123 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I have not had the chance to look at a 5R yet - however if anyone else has been able to they may be able to offer some input here. If you have the camera switched off and then attach it to the USB power source, does the camera then allow you to turn it on while it is connected and therefore run off the external power at the same time?

Thanks,

Simon

Mick2011
New

Hi :slight_smile:

This is probably something to do with the way the camera detects USB connections. Bigger, more power-hungry devices (unlike phones etc) can't draw enough power via a PC USB port, so the camera is designed to automatically switch to a semi-operational mode whenever you use its USB port.

I'm not sure if there's a way of overriding this behaviour; I suspect not :thinking:

Mick

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

you need to use the AC-PW20 AC adapter. NEX-5R can not be powered by USB (like RX100 for example)