Join now - be part of our community!

Dust on sensor inside brand new camera.

SOLVED
profile.country.sk_SK.title
jurokouril1
Visitor

Dust on sensor inside brand new camera.

At first - I'm not a newbie with DSLR cameras. I'm using some Canon DSLRs for a years. And I'm using my cameras in normal (not dusty) environment. This is my sad "Sony story". :slight_frown:

I have bought brand new Sony STL-A65VM two months ago. After a few pictures I finded out that there were dust and some small "fibers" on the sensor. I used electronic vibrating cleaning (no effect), cleaning with my blower (which I'm using for other cameras). Only a few dusts were blowed out, sensor remained dirty. I returned camera back to shop. They sent it to the service and after a week or two was my camera back. I made some test pictures - sensor was still dirty (dust, fibers,...). Ok, I went again to the shop, they have sent camera again to service for thorough cleaning.

Can you look, please, to the result? This is the first picture which I made just after receiving my "clean" camera from the service. I'm sure there must be some "source" of permanent dust inside the camera body. Is it possible? I have not use my camera yet. During two months has been my brand new camera only cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and this is the result. What can I do?

2servis_1.JPG

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jurokouril1
Visitor

Mick, thank you for the reply.

Spots and fibers move around, some of them I can blow-out with my standart blower.

But they are on the sensor again and again, after my cleaning, after two cleanings in Sony service..

And, unfortunately, some of them are visible in normal, real pictures (not only in such high-contrast and high-apperture test pictures). If I would buy cheap second hand camera, I will "clean" spots in post-processing. But this is the brand new (and not so cheap) camera.

I'm affraid there is something "dusty" inside the camera body (maybe lamels of shutter, I don't know). I believe the sensor was in the service cleaned well, but after a few shots is the dust back.

I have decided to return my camera to the shop. And now I'm waiting for the conclusion from Sony service :-((((

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi jurokouril, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It's difficult to give an opinion based on one frame. If those dust spots have always been in the same place they're probably never going to come off, assuming the sensor and mirror have been wet cleaned and not simply brushed. In that case I would take the camera back again to discuss your options.

If the spots 'move around', they're more likely to be blow-removable particles, but from what you're saying you've done this and still have the problem.

As I say, without real-world examples it's hard to be sure; this looks to be a very high contrast image – to show the problem clearly, I understand – so it's not clear how severe the problem actually is for practical purposes. Most people suffer some dust most of the time. Most of the time, it's either not visible or easily removed in post-processing. Personally I'd always opt for that rather than do any kind of contact cleaning, where permanent marking of the sensor is a real risk.

Hope that's of some help, anyway.

Mick

jurokouril1
Visitor

Mick, thank you for the reply.

Spots and fibers move around, some of them I can blow-out with my standart blower.

But they are on the sensor again and again, after my cleaning, after two cleanings in Sony service..

And, unfortunately, some of them are visible in normal, real pictures (not only in such high-contrast and high-apperture test pictures). If I would buy cheap second hand camera, I will "clean" spots in post-processing. But this is the brand new (and not so cheap) camera.

I'm affraid there is something "dusty" inside the camera body (maybe lamels of shutter, I don't know). I believe the sensor was in the service cleaned well, but after a few shots is the dust back.

I have decided to return my camera to the shop. And now I'm waiting for the conclusion from Sony service :-((((