Join now - be part of our community!

Filming

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
bernie17
Visitor

Filming

Just bought the Sony NEX-5R I have 2 questions :

1. Is there any way of getting a better sound when filming people talking, any mike that could be used?

2. What is the best record setting to use? I have tried the 50i 17M but the camera doesn't focus quickly enough when moving. And I tried the 25p 17M, a bit better for the focusing but both, when imported in Adobe première. give a trembling light effect...

Any help most welcome:-)

Message was edited by: bernie17

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi bernie, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

You need to look at accessory mics to get the best 'reporter-style' footage with a NEX-5. The best – and most widely-used – method of recording with off-camera mics is to use a separate digital recorder and sync that soundtrack with your video in post-production. A lot of people use Zoom recorders for their low price and quality audio. Using the camera's built-in mic as a guide, it's easy to synchronise with a video editor and very effective.

The 'trembling' effect you mention is likely due to a number of issues; maybe de-interlacing, shooting at too high a shutter speed, or not using a wide enough aperture. Obviously the last two can be a bit of a juggling act... there was a thread on this recently that might be worth checking out.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mick2011
New

Hi bernie, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

You need to look at accessory mics to get the best 'reporter-style' footage with a NEX-5. The best – and most widely-used – method of recording with off-camera mics is to use a separate digital recorder and sync that soundtrack with your video in post-production. A lot of people use Zoom recorders for their low price and quality audio. Using the camera's built-in mic as a guide, it's easy to synchronise with a video editor and very effective.

The 'trembling' effect you mention is likely due to a number of issues; maybe de-interlacing, shooting at too high a shutter speed, or not using a wide enough aperture. Obviously the last two can be a bit of a juggling act... there was a thread on this recently that might be worth checking out.

Cheers

Mick