Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000 XM3 and iPhone SE 2020

profile.country.GB.title
CharleaM
New

WF-1000 XM3 and iPhone SE 2020

I tried posting this on Reddit but all I got was people parroting the pairing instructions etc back to me so here goes again:

I just got the WF-1000 XM3 and I’ve been having issues connecting and using them with my iPhone SE 2020. I have followed all the pairing instructions, plus tried connecting with the app and without the app. I have tried resetting the buds, as well as initializing the buds. Sometimes they do connect, but only one earbud plays sound, and if I change the volume at all the sound cuts out and they go completely silent. Sometimes this happens because it mutes itself via the volume controls in the app, but when I don't have the app installed it goes silent anyway. Sometimes it plays for a split second and then goes quiet again. I've got the latest version of the app and the latest iOS update. I have tried updating the firmware via the app. I have followed all instructions and tried everything in the help guide so please spare any patronising comments haha 

They connect fine to my partners iPhone 8 and my laptop just through simple bluetooth pairing. I contacted SONY's support about it and they said they are not compatible with my iPhone so they cannot guarantee connectivity. They also refused to confirm whether they're planning to fix it and that I should look out for updates.

I have a couple of questions really - are they likely to fix it or should I assume it's a lost cause and return them? And if I return them what should I try instead? I really am looking for something with good noise cancelling as I bought these for while me and my partner are having to work from home in the same space and I'm doing a ton of work for my MSc. I've also realised that I have a genuinely tiny ear canal and the type of ear buds with the changeable tips don't fit me (tried my partners airpod pros and they just fall out). If I buy the over-ear equivalent am I likely to experience the same problems?

I noticed that some people had similar sounding issues with the iPhone 11 pro which I think has the same bluetooth connector, does anyone know if that issue got resolved?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi CharleaM,

Welcome to the Community. It might be best to contact Sony Support about this.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
CharleaM
New

I did, as I stated in my post. 

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

The latest versions of iOS for iphone, especially 13.4.1,  are a bug ridden mess, and can cause issues with UI lag, AirPlay issues, Touch ID and Face ID issues, weird battery drain, issues with first and third-party apps, Exchange issues, HomePod issues, iMessage issues, Wi-Fi problems, Bluetooth problems, CarPlay issues, lockups, freezes, and crashes.

And a nice sideline in VPN and failed encryption, and another in the Mail app that someone can delete and modify mail easily.

I would check out maybe the apple forums and see if theres a fix on the way, or follow their advice.

profile.country.GB.title
CharleaM
New

Hmm my partners phone is on the same iOS version as me. Why would it mess up on mine and not his?
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

profile.country.GB.title
CharleaM
New

Not sure how that would help, we've already established they work fine on his

Also did you see the part of my post that said "I tried posting this on Reddit but all I got was people parroting the pairing instructions etc back to me" because it feels like that's what you're doing

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

profile.country.GB.title
CharleaM
New

Sorry you’ve wasted your own time by not reading the post properly and therefore not responding with any new or useful information. Better luck next time