Join now - be part of our community!

Warranty in Europe

SOLVED
profile.country.LT.title
SliderTom
Explorer

Warranty in Europe

Hi,

10 months ago I bought Sony WX-1000X m3 in Italy through the Amazon.de.

My headphones stopped to work. I've contacted local Sony Baltic.  

They have replaced battery, but after this they said, that also speakers must be replaced.

Speakers are not replaceable and all device must be replaced according Sony Baltic. 

Sony Baltic rejects to replace device, because it was bough in Italy.

It's unclear: Does Sony provides EUROPEAN GUARANTEE?

According to me device fix or non-fixable device

replace can not depend on the exact location or country in the Europe Union.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.LT.title
SliderTom
Explorer

Hi,

finally I've solved my problem.  My device is working now.

Big thanks for the Sony Italy team and support!

They have forced Sony Baltic to fix my device locally in Lithuania.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

You don't have a contract with Sony, your contract is with Amazon.

You return it to them, and they deal with it.

profile.country.LT.title
SliderTom
Explorer

Amazon.de is not the final seller. Amazon just provided a shelf for the final seller.

The final seller is in Italy, ans Sony said that I have to contact them.

There are 2 warranty types:

1. Manufacturer: Sony provides such warranty. I can contact Sony directly and Sony

partially accepted this - they have tried to fix the device. Sony Baltic had failed to fix the device

and they rejected  replace - why? because it was not bought in the  Baltic Region... Is it a joke from Sony?

2. Law based: contact seller as contract was made with seller.

The main issue: Sony have already tried to fix the device I can not take it back.

Sony must take care till the final step, otherwise I can fail to prove if additional damage was done.

The secondary issue: I do not want to contact the seller as seller located in the Italy and I'm living in Lithuania.

Sony provides warranty in the EU and it was one of the reasons I bought Sony product.

Currently it looks like, that Sony simply does not care about their customers.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

So you should have gone through and instigated a return through Amazon, as your contract was with them not Sony.

That parts explained in Amazon's returns section on how to go about returning faulty marketplace items.

But seeing as you never, Sony really have no responsibility with your item.

As it stands, they have gone above what they are legally entitled to do.

Your contract was with Amazon./marketplace seller.

And Sony can refuse service if the seller was not an authorised seller/agent.

The pan European warranty exists if the seller was an official authorised seller.

You cite 2 different types of warranty, and unfortunately you can't mix them both. 

You can either go to the retailer or go straight to Sony(provided the item isn't an import) but you can't mix them both up.

I think you've shot yourself in the foot by going to Sony with an imported item.

It would be like me buying a TV from Amazon Germany and living in the UK then returning it to Sony Germany, to be fixed. You've gone about it wrongly, the retailer should have been the first port of call.

So your item would be classed as an import and importing carries risks usually due to warranty problems.

At least you'll know for the next time.

profile.country.LT.title
SliderTom
Explorer

This is not an import - it's bought in EU.
Looks like, that Sony fails to recognize EU as one economical item
with out any restrictions. Currently I'm going to provide claim to the
European Consumer Centres Network - ECC Net
as looks like Sony does not understand, that there is no difference between EU countries
in the context of warranty.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

From that very site you mention:

"I live in Portugal and bought a camera in Spain. It has a fault. What should I do?

Hopefully you still have the receipt with the trader's details. You should first contact them to explain your problem and ask to have the camera repaired or replaced. If this is not possible, you should get a refund."

But you've messed up slightly, by going to Sony, so really, you can't go back to the retailer and plead ignorance or ask for a repair/replacement now.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

The above is meant to be the first step, failing that, then you go to the ECC Net for advice.

profile.country.LT.title
SliderTom
Explorer

Hopefully you still have the receipt with the trader's details.

Yes I have receipt and I've tried to contact the trader. I do fail, maybe this is because of lock down in the Italy.

On the other hand this is the first time I've got such situation with the manufacturer.

Sony messed up slightly they have accepted defected device, but after failure to fix,  Sony

rejected to replace or refund device directly and ignores their provided warranty - I'm blocked

I can not take back the device and try to reuse law based warranty.

From mine practice other manufacturers always was taking defected device and fixed or replaced

and it  was no dependencies on the seller/dealer or seller/dealer location in EU. 

Currently I'm waiting for the ECC Net advice.

profile.country.LT.title
SliderTom
Explorer

Hi,

finally I've solved my problem.  My device is working now.

Big thanks for the Sony Italy team and support!

They have forced Sony Baltic to fix my device locally in Lithuania.