Join now - be part of our community!

z1sp fan noise episode II

paradoxchild
Visitor

z1sp fan noise episode II

hello, not too long ago i posted the following

http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=32540

and was advised to get some compressed air and clean my laptop's vents.

i was all set to do this when the noise suddenly stopped and, being not the most confident with technical things, i decided to leave well alone.

a mistake. yesterday, after months of no noise, during a virus scan the noise returned, only much worse! i know that virus scans are processor intensive, but the noise was so loud that i cancelled the scan and shut my vaio down. i have not dare turn it on since!

so, i am now going to try the compressed air , but i am a little unsure what you do? sorry if its a silly question.

on the underneath of my vaio are 3 vents, the top left one appears to have the fan ..am i ment to spray the air into those holes or should i remove the underneath itself?

i just thought that blowing dust in such a confined space will just blow it somewhere else, rather than out.

its not under warrenty anymore so i'd like to try all that i can before having to spend lots on having sony do it.

thanks

jj (again)
ps apologies for not doing the compressed air before

45 REPLIES 45
paradoxchild
Visitor

ok update!

dad and i flipped the keyboard back to see what we could see. found the hdd in a cradle with holes, but didnt know how to access it.

we used the air again while it was open. turned it back on, and the hdd temp at startup/idle was 33-36c . i fired up my test applications and pretty soon, mobile meter said the hdd temp was 0,,(why is that?).

like yesterday, i then closed the applications to see what the hdd temp was afterwards and it seem to level off at 43c. is that still high?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

43C is pretty good, but I would listen out for the fan, does it stop working? Maybe now it's turning off due to being cool enough?

paradoxchild
Visitor

the fan only seems to start when the cpu temp reaches about 45-50+c. at which point mobilemonitor displays the hdd temp as 0.

is that because once the fan starts it immediatly cools the hdd? i found it odd that at start up the hdd is 33-36c and the next time at idle, after use, it dropped back to 43ish rather than the 33-36c. wheras the cpu temp returned to its startup temp give or take the odd degree.

is that normal? i guess the position of both may play a part in how cool they get and stay though perhaps.

paradoxchild
Visitor

my hdd id 51c now and my cpu is 49c. i notice that even when idle, the hdd temp will rise , even if slowly. is that normal? the cpu temp goes up n down, yet the hdd either seems to level off or rise.

kee-lo_

Hi,

Sounds like it's fixed to me.

The HDD temp will rise when the fan is off, due to the mechanical movements and operation. As long as it doesn't overheat then I think you've cracked it.

Congratuations on the repair.

paradoxchild
Visitor

oh cool ok.

well thank you for your and Thalamus' help and patience!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: You're welcome paradoxchild... :slight_smile:

paradoxchild
Visitor

bad news im afraid, after no worrying temps, or noises, since 'ending' this thread, last night the noise returned. :slight_frown:

before shutting down i looked at the cpu and hdd temps and they were 60c and 50c, so not stupidly high. as programs closed during the shut down process the noise decreased.

its something bad isnt it?

should i start a new thread?

thank you

jj

kee-lo_

What programs were running?
Flash can cause the fans to go on for a long period of time.

paradoxchild
Visitor

from what i remember, i had itunes, dreamweaver. firefox and msn messenger live open at the time. thats fairly typical of my usage. i wasn't looking at any sites that had flash elements though as far as i know. the noise coincided with msn crashing as i tried signing off.

i've not had the vaio on today.