Join now - be part of our community!

z1sp fan noise episode II

paradoxchild
Visitor

z1sp fan noise episode II

hello, not too long ago i posted the following

http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=32540

and was advised to get some compressed air and clean my laptop's vents.

i was all set to do this when the noise suddenly stopped and, being not the most confident with technical things, i decided to leave well alone.

a mistake. yesterday, after months of no noise, during a virus scan the noise returned, only much worse! i know that virus scans are processor intensive, but the noise was so loud that i cancelled the scan and shut my vaio down. i have not dare turn it on since!

so, i am now going to try the compressed air , but i am a little unsure what you do? sorry if its a silly question.

on the underneath of my vaio are 3 vents, the top left one appears to have the fan ..am i ment to spray the air into those holes or should i remove the underneath itself?

i just thought that blowing dust in such a confined space will just blow it somewhere else, rather than out.

its not under warrenty anymore so i'd like to try all that i can before having to spend lots on having sony do it.

thanks

jj (again)
ps apologies for not doing the compressed air before

45 REPLIES 45
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi paradoxchild

36-43c is an improvement on 48 to 62 (when in idle) temps reported in your previous thread, looks like the compressed air may have helped..:smileyhappy:

paradoxchild
Visitor

yes thats true, i hadn't thought of that. should i also have blown the side vent where the warm air comes out? i concentrated on the underside to be honest.

what is a 'good' temp when in use? i thought mine still seemed a bit high but i guess the applications i was using were quite resource hungry

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You should definately do the side one, this is probably why your high CPU usage tempretures are bad

paradoxchild
Visitor

oh ok sorry. will do it the next chance i get . i'm disabled so need help. thank you for your help and patience :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

No problem, I am disabled too

paradoxchild
Visitor

hello, i have done the air in the side vent, and using the same ammount of applications etc, the maximum usage temp is fluctuating between 68-70c which is better than the 74c before. is that ok or still high though?

one thing i did notice was that using mobilemeter, the hdd temp went from 0 to 46c and then to 0c..i didnt look at that the 2 other times so i dont know if its significant. (ie ive no idea what it means lol).

paradoxchild
Visitor

i just closed a few of the most intensive apps that i was running, and the temp dropped to 49c but the hdd shot up to 51c! is that because the fan stopped? or have i caused a problem elsewhere :thinking:

kee-lo_

Sounds like a big chunk has moved, if you can see a local technician to help you open it for cleaning then that would be the best move

paradoxchild
Visitor

sorry i'm not sure what you mean. did you mean a big chunk has moved shown by my lower maximum usage temp, or shown by the hdd temp?

paradoxchild
Visitor

if its a case of having to, is it possible to use the compressed air on the hard drive? between us, my dad and i could remove the keyboard as you would to add memory. would the hdd be visible then?