Join now - be part of our community!

z1sp fan noise episode II

paradoxchild
Visitor

z1sp fan noise episode II

hello, not too long ago i posted the following

http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=32540

and was advised to get some compressed air and clean my laptop's vents.

i was all set to do this when the noise suddenly stopped and, being not the most confident with technical things, i decided to leave well alone.

a mistake. yesterday, after months of no noise, during a virus scan the noise returned, only much worse! i know that virus scans are processor intensive, but the noise was so loud that i cancelled the scan and shut my vaio down. i have not dare turn it on since!

so, i am now going to try the compressed air , but i am a little unsure what you do? sorry if its a silly question.

on the underneath of my vaio are 3 vents, the top left one appears to have the fan ..am i ment to spray the air into those holes or should i remove the underneath itself?

i just thought that blowing dust in such a confined space will just blow it somewhere else, rather than out.

its not under warrenty anymore so i'd like to try all that i can before having to spend lots on having sony do it.

thanks

jj (again)
ps apologies for not doing the compressed air before

45 REPLIES 45
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi paradoxchild

Once you have bought the can of compressed air from Maplins holding the can upright give the vents a short blast from a distance of approx. 10cm if you hold the can to close you could damage the fan.

Have a look at this similar thread

paradoxchild
Visitor

ahh ok, thanks for that. i have the air, but am going to run mobilemeter before and after using it. i mentioned the problem to a friend who mentioned that the noise may be coming from the hdd, which would be a bigger problem, so i'm hoping it is the fan.

i noticed that in the other thread it the poster was asked if they could feel hot air coming out of the vent...well i can, and it is pretty hot, ie i wouldn't enjoy holding my hand there, but would that suggest that my vents are not blocked?

anyway, going to let the vaio run a bit while i use it and ill note the temp for comparison after the air.

will let you know!!!! thanks

paradoxchild
Visitor

hello, i have the air! it has a 'straw' with it...is the 10cm including that or as well as the straw?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The straw is for hard to reach areas, but fit it on there as it gives you a more accurate shot at the vent.

paradoxchild
Visitor

The straw is for hard to reach areas, but fit it on there as it gives you a more accurate shot at the vent.

still from 10cm from the straws end tho?

kee-lo_

Yep

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Yes I would as it's possible that the air blown on the fans can cause them to over spin therefore damaging the fan..:smileysad:

paradoxchild
Visitor

right then. i have used the air on the fan's vent. giving 3 short bursts. it doesn't seem to have made a great deal of difference to the temperatures shown by mobile meter.

before the air, at idle, it was about 40c and during use ( by this i mean a virus scan, browser windows, dreamweaver and fireworks , msn, my typical use and what i was doing when it made the noise) the fan kicked in at 62 and the temp peaked at 75c.

since the air, at idle, it first fluctuated between 36-43c but levelled out to 36c. and during use, its peaked at 74, and remain pretty constant.

it hasn't made that awful noise during either run.

are those temps high or ok ? would it suggest the noise came from somewhere other than the fan?

thanks

jj

kee-lo_

At maximum use that is high, otherwise idle is great