Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 7 and 3G on TT21WN

mskp
Visitor

Windows 7 and 3G on TT21WN

Hello,

I've installed Windows 7 on my Vaio VGN-TT21WN. It works great. However I can't figure out how to enable my built-in 3G modem. I've inserted a SIM card but the PC doesn't seem to find the 3G modem at all. Has anyone made this work?

Thanks in advance!

Morten

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Morten and welcome.

Have you done a clean install or an upgrade? You would normally run the WWAN Connection Manager.

If you have done a clean install have you reinstalled the WWAN Connection Manager and the WWAN Driver?

Does everything else work like the fingerprint reader?

You can find all the drivers and Utilities for your model here. If there is no Windows 7 driver you will need to use the originally installed Vista driver:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-TT21WN_B

:thinking:

mskp
Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I did a clean install. I can't figure out how to install the WWAN driver - I have downloaded it but there isn't an install file.

Morten

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hmmmm....

I haven't got a Vaio with WWAN but I see there is one .EXE file in the download - have you tried running that?

If that doesn't work you will have to install the driver from within Device Manager. You will have to identify which device it is (it will have a yellow warning next to it) it may be listed as a WWAN Modem of some sort.

1. Find the device in Device Manager and double-click on it.
2. Go to Driver tab and select Update Driver.
3. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
4. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
5. Select Have Disk....
6. Select Browse....
7. Browse to your downloaded driver folder \\Wireless_WAN_Driver_Option.....
8. Next ..........
9. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
10. Close & Re-Boot

mskp
Visitor

The problem is that I don't see a device that I can install the driver for. See screen shot. That makes it rather difficult 😉 I've tried the device with the yellow exclamation mark in front of it but that already has the best driver installed I'm told (so I don't understand the warning). The exe file in the download does absolutely nothing...

I've sent a message to Sony support. Hopefully they can help. It's just a bit strange.

Morten

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

We need help from someone with a WWAN enabled Vaio.

I have a non-Sony Netbook and the WWAN shows up in Device Manager under 'Modems' - but only when the WWAN is turned on. When it is turned off it does not show and, like yourself, there is no 'Modem' entry in Device Manager.

How did you turn on the WWAN? I've looked through your manual but it is silent on the Everywair feature.

ANYONE OUT THERE WITH EVERYWAIR????????

:thinking: :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you will have to open Vaio Control Centre and then Vaio Smart Network and select WWAN to turn it on before you can install the driver.

Have you not got Vaio Control Centre and Vaio Smart Network installed you can download them from the same place as the WWAN Driver.

mskp
Visitor

I had already tried that and as you can see the control center and smart network tools are not working all that well :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The physical wireless switch is turned on?

I'm out of ideas - lets see what response you get from Sony - how did you contact them?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It may be best to wait for Sony's view but I have just noticed that the TT4-Series has been released with Windows 7 preinstalled.

I can't help noticing there are versions of Vaio Control Centre and Vaio Smart Network dated 29 September 2009 on the download page here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-TT4

Perhaps installing all the 32-bit drivers may help. I cannot recommend you try these - it would have to be your decision.