Join now - be part of our community!

[HELP]: RAM Memory Upgrade for Sony VAIO VGN-S3HP

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

[HELP]: RAM Memory Upgrade for Sony VAIO VGN-S3HP

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy more RAM for one old Sony VAIO laptop (VGN-S3HP).Currently I have 512MB in one DIMM (under the keyboard), but I would like to buy another one because I think that the Max. Supported Memory (MB) is 1024MB. In fact, I am not sure because the Crucial webpage says that the Max is 2GB, which is in opposite with the official Sony VAIO web page.

At the Sony VAIO web page they recommend the following:

1x 512MB DDR-PC3200 (SO-DIMM) 400MHz

Because it is the same that the original 512MB that I have already assembled under the keyboard. But Crucial tool recommed me 2x 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300:

h**p://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VGN-S3HP&pl=Sony&cat=RAM

So, I am very confused because the DDR1 works at 2.5/2.6 Volts and the DDR2 works at 1.8V, so, I don't want to "burn" the mother board or the DIMM's with a wrong election.

Then, what do you recommend me? Any previous experience? Do you think that could be possible to upgrade to 2GB really? Or I should look for another 512MB DDR-PC3200 (SO-DIMM) 400MHz only?

Thanks by your support guys! :smileygrin:
Torakaru

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
abdb469
Visitor

What was the outcome of this?  did you manage to install 2gb and get it to work?  What is your setup now?