Join now - be part of our community!

Power Management Question Need Help Thank you

pixeldude
Visitor

Power Management Question Need Help Thank you

Hi,
Noob here...
Which one of these settings will make my battery life longer from the power management settings?
1. Battery Life
2. Degrade

Thank you alot.

17 REPLIES 17
wouter_mol18
Visitor

I have no idea, but you can assemble a number of actions so the battery will last longer. I am trying out al these actions to see witch one will get the best result

bb

pixeldude
Visitor

I have no idea, but you can assemble a number of actions so the battery will last longer. I am trying out al these actions to see witch one will get the best result

bb

I thought about that too.. but also thought that somebody else with bigger experince from here would knew...

Thank you anyway :grin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think battery life.

pixeldude
Visitor

I think battery life.

Maybe.. but i thinks that could be "degrade" cuz it means that the computer will work degraded.. and i think that this will save the battery life more.. so anybody knows?
do you have that setting for your lap in power management?
i had a look into help file but its not described that...

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Go for the Battery Life Option!:smileywink:

In addition, the following list helps conserve power:-

1. Dont use the Optical Drive (CDRW/DVD) unless you really have to.
2. Turn the screen brightness level down to Level 1.
3. Don't use sound applications.
4. If you have an IBM/Hitachi Hard Disk drive, get the ABLE (Adaptive Battery Life Extender Version 3) Uilitily and set it to Battery Life mode.
5. Don't use USB/PCMCIA peripherals as these draw a lot of power, especially PCMCIA cards - just leaving them in can draw power.
6. Don't use CPU/Hard Disk intensive applications.
7. When you leave your computer, adjust the power options so that when you close the lid, the system automatically enters Standby - DO NOT MOVE YOUR VAIO IN STANDBY MODE - if you do this then you will damage the hard disk.
8. Use Hibernate mode to save everything instantly - great when you're on the go...

This is not an exhaustive list, it is merely a guide IMHO which should save you a lot of battery life - it almost doubled mine!:smileygrin:

kee-lo_

I use "adaptive" pixeldude.

pixeldude
Visitor

Go for the Battery Life Option!:smileywink: 

4. If you have an IBM/Hitachi Hard Disk drive, get the ABLE (Adaptive Battery Life Extender Version 3) Uilitily and set it to Battery Life mode.

I have HITACHI DK23FA...what can do that ABLE? where can i download it? it puts my hdd in standby or something?
Hope this doesnt damage the hdd...

pixeldude
Visitor

I use "adaptive" pixeldude.

I use adaptive too .. but that's for microprocessor.. in the power management are only 2 options for my laptop.. Battery Life and Degrade.. and i want to know which one makes longer the life of battery.

kee-lo_

Do a test -- do tasts you want to do on battery and see which one works best for you.