Join now - be part of our community!

Noisey Laptop - AR21s - Is it just me?

Leetay
Visitor

Noisey Laptop - AR21s - Is it just me?

Hi again

I'm new to Sony Laptops, now is it just me or are they fairly noisy, the fan on mine is wuring constantly, (loud enough to notice) and it seems to be speeding up and slowing down constantly too, is this normal ???

And also if you put your ear close to it there is a fine clicking noise, again constant, presume this is the HD.

Model is: VGN-AR21s, 1 week old!!

I had an Acer previously and that was silent, until the fan kicked in ocationally

Cheers

Lee

15 REPLIES 15
Leetay
Visitor

Come on all you AR owners

Lee

Dietermaes
Visitor

I can hear some noise from my 2 days old AR21S, but it's not too much and it seems normal. My previous laptop made much more noise (it had a desktop P4 cpu)

Leetay
Visitor

Hi Dietermas

When the fan kicks in, does it slow down then run constantly fast and slow permanently instead of kicking in again?

Lee

Dietermaes
Visitor

I don't know what noise I hear, not sure if it's a fan or the hard disk. But it doesn't go up and down, the noise is constant and little.

sunset12345
Visitor

Hi, I have BX195SP laptop and mine even when is swiched off still makes noise, when i turn it on it even makes more noise. I think all the sony laptops are making lots of noise.

LiMoEiRo
Visitor

Well, i bought mine about 2 weeks ago. The fan kicks in, very few times and only for short bursts. Although, "very few times" is mine opinion, i´ll try to count the minutes between two bursts (if i can, because they are rare, at least to me)!

The problem that i´m afraid now, is a clicking noise, probably the harddrive, that i found to be abnormal from reading other threads here on clubvaio forum, but with another laptops, namely fe11s i think. Probably i have that problem, since it is harddrive related, and not laptop related. Can anyone tell me what brand is the ar21s hard drive? The problems seem to afect fujitsu drives. it´s a clicking sound, when the laptop is idle, tipically repeating 5-10 seconds apart. Restarting solves the problem temporarily.

Well, maybe i should create another thread for this!!! 🙂

Anyway, other than that i found the laptop quite silent. It has a very discrete "fffffffff" sound on the back ( 😉 ) but i think completely silent would be to turn it off. However, it doesn´t seem to be your case. Strange that you have all that noise.. huummm.. will pay more atention to the noise from now on.

Thank you all