Join now - be part of our community!

AR21S: solving incoming problems (i hope) :-) Hard drive clicking + Sound in games

LiMoEiRo
Visitor

AR21S: solving incoming problems (i hope) :-) Hard drive clicking + Sound in games

Hello! 🙂

I bought my (first) VAIO, 2 weeks ago, and almost everything is running smoothly. Overall, i´m glad with the laptop. Screen problems have been posted, but i can´t complain about mine. (have not tested blu-ray yet)

What i´m a bit concerned is about a sound that my hard drive makes when idle for some time, and not always. Although when it starts, it stops when i make the hard drive work, and resumes shortly after i stop, UNTIL i restart the system, and the cycle begins again after a while. Well, i read the (whole) thread about a fe11s having clicking sounds coming from the hard drive, and downloaded the wav file on the thread to compare with mine. It´s the same, and the context of when it happens is also the same. My question s are: Is it normal, like some (including a quote from fujitsus site) said, and it reflects the reading arm doing something that produces that noise, or is it harmful, and my hard drive may have is life shortened by it? Is my hard drive fujitsu (since the problem seems to be hard drive related, and not laptop related) ? Should i start thinking about contacting sony to replace the hard drive (or a connector from the drive to the motherboard, supposedly responsible for the problem on the fe11s. when replaced, the clicking sounds stopped on fe11s with a fujitsu drive)?

Another problem that i have is also about sound, but now, is about the sigmatel sound. When i play games like need for speed underground 2 ou quake 4, i hear lots of crackling, a bit like static. How can i solve this? Tried turning write combining off, but no good! Read something about changing pci latency to 60 and that would supposedly solve the problem, but my graphics card is nvidia go 7600gt, which is PCI express, so no pci latency there 😉 (will try removing sonicstage mastering studio, like someone sugested on another thread)

Well, i´ll be happy if anyone can help on any of these things! Would hate to have spent 3000 euros on a laptop to find out that i can´t play some games without muting the sound, or that i cant work (near the laptop) because of a misterious will to kill myself ( 😉 ) after 1 or 2 hours of hard drive clicking continuously at fixed timings!

Thank you all in advance!!!! 🙂 By reading other posts, i have found this forum very very informative and usefull 🙂 Keep it up!!!

PS: Sorry about the question about my own harddrive, but i can´t find anything about it´s brand on device manager!!

0 REPLIES 0