Join now - be part of our community!

Noisey Laptop - AR21s - Is it just me?

Leetay
Visitor

Noisey Laptop - AR21s - Is it just me?

Hi again

I'm new to Sony Laptops, now is it just me or are they fairly noisy, the fan on mine is wuring constantly, (loud enough to notice) and it seems to be speeding up and slowing down constantly too, is this normal ???

And also if you put your ear close to it there is a fine clicking noise, again constant, presume this is the HD.

Model is: VGN-AR21s, 1 week old!!

I had an Acer previously and that was silent, until the fan kicked in ocationally

Cheers

Lee

15 REPLIES 15
frannys
Visitor

Should run silent apart from any Fans that may suddenly power up by Temp Control.My FE11M is totaly silent.Any noise from your HD such as clicking should not be there.It is useualy associated with HD failure as the Arm is touching down on the Disk.Eventualy you will start to have bad Sectors appear.When that happens then the HD will fail pretty fast.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Any noise from your HD such as clicking should not be there

Actually clicking from a notebook hard drive is quite normal. This is a common feature and is associated with parking of the reading arm.

‘Grinding’ or ‘clunking’ sounds, however, should not be ignored…..

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Leetay
Visitor

What about the whirlwind fans??

The more i tune into it the worse it gets:smileyworried:

Sent a case to e-support!

By the way, what is the usual turn around for the case's on the support site??

Lee

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Around 48hrs, but can be more.

Leetay
Visitor

Hi, Just an update

Been onto Vaio Link, Chap called Mark on there, Very Helpful!

Took me through a few instructions, one of them being a factory reset, that made no difference.

Then said maybe go back to the store and get a replacement, never thought of this previously, as it is only 5 days old!!

Have all the log notes to take with me, so hopefully should get a new'n unless the store want to start getting shirty.

I'll keep you posted.

Not having much luck at the mo, previous to this Laptop, had an Acer 9814 (£1700) had nothing but S+it with that one too, so that got sold.

I'll get there in the end, hopefully

Lee

JKR
Visitor

OK What spec laptop did u have before that was silent and you couldnt hear fans or hard drive??!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Lee,

Make sure you tell the store that Sony told you to ask for a replacement, and if you can get a full name of this guy, so someone can be accountable.

Leetay
Visitor

Hi All

Firstly the previous Laptop was an Acer 9810 WKMi, and the fan kicked in every 20 mins or so for a few secs, which you would expect, apart from that it was silent, hard drive too.

To keep you upto date, the laptop has been sent off to be inspected.

Apparently the fan SHOULD run constantly, fast and slow ,in the background, and the hard drive SHOULD constnatly click becuase 'Windows' is running in the background

So obviously they are right, looks like i'll have to live with it!!!

Any other input on this situation, especially from AR users would be greatly appreciated, as I feel at spending 2K on a laptop this should not be happening.

Please advise

Regards

Lee

apierc1
Visitor

Hello, I had my laptop back for one day (well wednesday morning to this morning, one day) and I noticed that when it ws reading the hard drive there was a noise, not really a clicking just like a scanning noise, I'm pretty sure it's a normal noise :thinking: