Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A9 dials locked in movie mode

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
anneandnick

Sony A9 dials locked in movie mode

Can anyone help please. I have the a7iii and the a7r3 and in movie mode I can change shutter and aperture. I just bought an a9 and the dials are locked. Ive been into the menu settings and locked then unlocked the dials but this hasnt changed anything. all i can change is ISO but the shutter speed and the aperture are locked

your help appreciated

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Yes sorry, my fault... Maybe you have to modify Movie: Exposure Mode

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1650/v1/en/contents/TP0001477949.html

You can set the exposure mode for movie shooting.

1. Set the mode dial to  (Movie).
  2. MENU  (Camera Settings2) → [Exposure Mode] → desired setting.
  3. Press the MOVIE (movie) button to start recording.

• Press the MOVIE button again to stop recording.
Menu item details  Program Auto: Allows you to shoot with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and the aperture value).  Aperture Priority: Allows you to shoot after adjusting the aperture value manually.  Shutter Priority: Allows you to shoot after adjusting the shutter speed manually.  Manual Exposure: Allows you to shoot after adjusting the exposure (both the shutter speed and the aperture value) manually.

Manolo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

?

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1650/v1/en/contents/TP0001454464.html

In [Program Auto] mode when shooting movies, the aperture value and the shutter speed will be set automatically and cannot be changed. For that reason, the shutter speed may become fast in a bright environment, and the motion of the subject may not record smoothly. By changing the exposure mode and adjusting the aperture value and the shutter speed, the motion of the subject can be recorded smoothly.

Manolo

profile.country.GB.title
anneandnick

Hi Manolo, I’m in movie mode, not P and the dials are locked, this doesn’t happen on my a7iii and my a7r3 but it seems to be a fact of life on the a9. I know the a9 is mostly for stills but it seems strange to handcuff the camera not to be able to set the shutter manually in movie mode, particularly when you can switch the camera to manual and do it there easily

Kind Regards,

Nick Sievewright

Commercial Photographer, Videographer & CAA approved drone operator

Mobile 07964 10 9 8 7 6
Landline 0114 205 5466 / 01909 519874
E Mail studio@footprintphoto.biz
Web www.footprintphoto.biz

Twitter footprintphotos
Facebook footprintphoto
Skype footprintphotography
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Yes sorry, my fault... Maybe you have to modify Movie: Exposure Mode

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1650/v1/en/contents/TP0001477949.html

You can set the exposure mode for movie shooting.

1. Set the mode dial to  (Movie).
  2. MENU  (Camera Settings2) → [Exposure Mode] → desired setting.
  3. Press the MOVIE (movie) button to start recording.

• Press the MOVIE button again to stop recording.
Menu item details  Program Auto: Allows you to shoot with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and the aperture value).  Aperture Priority: Allows you to shoot after adjusting the aperture value manually.  Shutter Priority: Allows you to shoot after adjusting the shutter speed manually.  Manual Exposure: Allows you to shoot after adjusting the exposure (both the shutter speed and the aperture value) manually.

Manolo

profile.country.GB.title
anneandnick

Hi Manolo, thanks so much for your help. I wasn’t aware that in movie mode there was the option to set Movie M, Movie S, Movie A and Movie P. My a9 was set to P. I have changed it to M and have full control – Great result !!

Kind Regards,

Nick Sievewright

Commercial Photographer, Videographer & CAA approved drone operator

Edited [personal details removed]

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Happy to have been helpful and forgive the first answer.

Manolo