Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7 vs A7Rii

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
DenFalls
Explorer

Sony A7 vs A7Rii

Hello folks,

My first post here, having bought a Sony A7 and 28-70mm Kit just before Christmas.

I haven't bought a camera since the KonicaMinolta 7D in 2004!! (Great camera and still working 100%)

The A7 is amazing, I know it's 1st gen, but given my last cam is so old, you can imagine the effect of such an upgrade. Having said that, the bug (and a 4k monitor! lol) has bitten for even higher resolution, it's difficult to restrain myself from going for an A7Rii

Can anyone point me at a direct comparison between the A7 and A7Rii in trems of picture quality?

What I'd ideally like to find, is two downloadable full resolution photos, of the same subject, with identical camera settings, lens etc.

I know the A7Rii has, among other things, vastly better af, but that doesn't interest me just now, as I'm using a host of old screw driven A mount lenses, with the LA-EA4 Adapter and therefore stuck with it's inbuilt af system.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated 

Many thanks,

Den.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Den

I can't seem to find anything dedicated to that specific comparison which has side-by-side full-resolution image samples. Some of the usual review sites will have full-resolution files, but none that I can see are direct comparisons. 

I can tell you that the bigger/more/better pixels factor IS a significant upgrade and worth the investment if you're serious about that sort of thing – which I guess you are!

Happy hunting

Mick

View solution in original post

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Den

I can't seem to find anything dedicated to that specific comparison which has side-by-side full-resolution image samples. Some of the usual review sites will have full-resolution files, but none that I can see are direct comparisons. 

I can tell you that the bigger/more/better pixels factor IS a significant upgrade and worth the investment if you're serious about that sort of thing – which I guess you are!

Happy hunting

Mick

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius
profile.country.GB.title
DenFalls
Explorer

Hi Mick,

Thank you for the reply.

I did find what I was looking for on DP Review, they had test charts pics and both outdoor and indoor pictures, taken with the A7 and A7Rii. I got full res downloads of the files at various iso values.

I was surprised the resolution difference wasn't as marked as I thought it would be, but definitely the A7Rii files are more useful for croping images. Of course the A7Rii also has anti shake, which is very much a feature I'd like, as well as a host other advances. Still, it cooled the urgency for an immediate upgrade, which was good in of itself.

I think I'll work away with the A7 for now and add an A7Rii later in the year. I have to say I'm delighted with the A7 thus far.

Cheers,

Den.

profile.country.GB.title
DenFalls
Explorer

Hi Manolo,

Thank you for the link. Interesting reading :slight_smile: