Join now - be part of our community!

using tablet as a wifi hotspot?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
dkersley
Visitor

using tablet as a wifi hotspot?

Hi , im going on holiday with my kids and the eldest 2 want me to buy them a dongle each for their laptops.  Got me thinking, could I use my sony tablet s as a wifi hotspot ?. I appreciate doing this might not necessarily be the cheapest method of getting them internet access but want to know if its possible .

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Only if your tablet is the 3G model, if so then yes I would have thought so.

There are a  number of tethering apps on the market, so worth trying.

So assuming your tablet is 3G, you'd have to check with your provider to ensure that it allows tethering.

But if you're going abroad (and kids using it) the charges could be very, very expensive. Data is usually charged by the MB not time online.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Only if your tablet is the 3G model, if so then yes I would have thought so.

There are a  number of tethering apps on the market, so worth trying.

So assuming your tablet is 3G, you'd have to check with your provider to ensure that it allows tethering.

But if you're going abroad (and kids using it) the charges could be very, very expensive. Data is usually charged by the MB not time online.

garlangreeny
Visitor

I agree. Checking with your provider is exactly the first best thing to do as you may have to pay for such a large amount using the service.

dkersley
Visitor

Thanks for your advice guys. only going on holiday in uk so tempted to test tethering for a couple of days before I go to see impact on cost . I will check with service provider ( on 3 at mo might change) to see if they support tethering . thanks again