Join now - be part of our community!

used memory by backup

SOLVED
profile.country.de_DE.title
ingo441ufepo
Visitor

used memory by backup

In my Xperia Z4 Tablet Backup and restore uses more than 7 GiB of the internal memory (in /data/user/0/com.sonymobile.synchub). How can i get rid of it to use the memory for apps?  In Settings memory for Backup is set (now) to the External SD-Card.

Hope somebody can help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ingo441ufepo
Visitor

Hi Jonas,

thank you so much, your last advice solved my problem!

When I deleted data according your advice, backup still used internal storage to store the backup data, but after I deleted cache too everything is now as it should be. Backup data of new backups are stored on my SD card and i now have a lot of free internal storage.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Jonas
Master

Hi @ingop, welcome to our community!

I'm sorry to hear about so much of your internal storage is being used up by these files. Slightly_frowning_Face

You should be able to delete the folder and the files inside it since you already have the backup stored on your SD card.

You can delete is using the inbuilt Explore function in Settings > Storage > Explore, find the folder and press and hold on it and it gets marked and you see a small trash bin in top right corner, press that it will delete the folder and the files inside it.

Let me know how it went! Slightly_smiling_Face

ingo441ufepo
Visitor

Hi  Jonas

Thank you very much for your answer.

Unfortunately there was no possibility to navigate to the folder with the backups. I opened Einstellungen/Speicher (Settings/Storage), touched on Interner Speicher and Erkunden (Explore). Then I looked into every folder but did'nt find /data/user/0/com.sonymobile.synchub and not such a big folder. What can I do?

Jonas
Master

Hello again! Slightly_smiling_Face

Where did you see in the first place that this folder took that much space, did you use a file explorer?

I was able to locate this folder in Settings > Storage > Internal storage > Explore > Android > data > com.sonymobile.synchub. Can you see the folder and the files in here?

If you have a computer you can connect your Xperia Z4 tablet to the computer and use a file explorer for example, the inbuilt one in Windows to navigate to the correct folder. It will be the same location as in your phone (Internal storage > Android > data > com.sonymobile.synchub).

Keep me updated!

ingo441ufepo
Visitor

Hi Jonas,

thank you for your quick reply.

I got the info about memory consumption from the apps DiskUsage and SD Maid.

DiskUsage tells me that Sichern & Wiederherstellen (Backup & Restore) uses 7621 MiB.

SD Maid tells mehr that Sichern & wiederherstellen  uses 7.44 GB in /data/user/0/com.sonymobile.synchub.

Indeed I can access Android/data/com.sonymobile.synchub but this folder contains 0 Bytes. No need to delete it :smileyhappy:.

The data must be somewhere else, but where?

I Have no clue :smileysad:.

Jonas
Master

Thanks for the update!

I'm sorry for my earlier reply, to remove any data from this folder you will need root access. When you created the backups before you set it to be on the SD card, did you create backup to Online account or a USB stick?

I just want to confirm that there is actually 7 GB of data on your internal storage being used by these files. So i'ts not showing that 7 GB is being used when it's not. Could you please provide me with a few screen shots of how it looks in Settings > Storage > Internal storage?

If you could create a new backup to your SD card and see if the space on the SD card gets smaller after the backup has completed or if the free space on the internal storage gets smaller, just to make sure the backup gets created on the SD card.

Let me know how it went and have a great weekend! Slightly_smiling_Face

ingo441ufepo
Visitor

Hi Jonas, 

thank you for your help with my Problem.

As I am new to the forum I don't know how to correctly  provide you with the screenshots. Please could you help me.

Before I set backup to external SD card I think it was set to online.

This morning I started a manual Backup to SD Card and noticed (in settings / storage) that internal (!) memory decreased and decreased till no memory was left and the Backup died.

Jonas
Master

Hello again! Slightly_smiling_Face

To take the screen shot in your tablet press the ON/OFF button and then press on "Take screenshot". To upload the screen shot to our forum, reply to thread and you will have an option to "Insert/edit image". Browse to the folder where the screenshots are stored and press insert image.

A moderator then has to approve your screenshots so that they are shown in our forum.

Regarding the troubles with your backup, could you please try and go in to Settings > Apps > 3 dots > Show system > find "Backup & restore" > Storage > Clear data.

After you have done that, go in to Settings > Storage > Internal storage, has any memory been freed up now? If it has, try creating a new backup to your SD card and see if the internal storage still decreases.

Keep me updated! Slightly_smiling_Face

ingo441ufepo
Visitor

Hi Jonas,

thank you so much, your last advice solved my problem!

When I deleted data according your advice, backup still used internal storage to store the backup data, but after I deleted cache too everything is now as it should be. Backup data of new backups are stored on my SD card and i now have a lot of free internal storage.

Thank you!

Jonas
Master

I'm very happy to hear that! Slightly_smiling_Face

I hope you find some nice applications or similar to make use of the newly freed up space. Slightly_smiling_Face

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.