Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Tablet - Improving WIFI Reception

profile.country.en_GB.title
sign216
Visitor

Sony Tablet - Improving WIFI Reception

Do Sony P tablets support an external Wifi antenna? 

Do the P tablets allow for a USB wireless network adapter with external antenna?

Could I plug either of these through the microUSB connector, with a mircoUSB to standard USB  adapter?

I want to do this to improve the poor Wifi reception of P tablets.

Are these ideas possible?  I have heard that the tablet's microUSB port is for data transmission only, and will not support an additional antenna or network adaptor. 

Joe

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
austingrd
Visitor

I haven't heard any of these accessories proven to be working yet. Would be nice if someone can share their thoughts on this. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

sign216
Visitor

Austin, I asked someone at the local Sony store, and they said "no" to an external antenna.  I also asked Sony tech support via email (asked twice), and they said no to both an external antenna adapter and to just the external antenna.  However their second response was interesting:

"I understand your concern to use an external antenna to the Micro USB Port of the Tablet. As mentioned in the previous email response, an external antenna or an adapter cannot be

used with the Sony P Series Tablet, Since Tablet is not installed with any pre-installed applications or software that supports connecting external antenna. However, you may try

contacting any third party manufacturer to purchase the antenna with compatible applications or software for the Android version of the Tablet."

I liked his suggestion; that a manufacturer of external antenna adapters may provide application software.  This would be great, although it comes with it's own risks.  I'll research this idea with antenna makers over in the US (I live in the states).  If you find anything in the UK, let me know.

Joe