Join now - be part of our community!

Price drop already.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bara-Kun
Visitor

Price drop already.

I notice today that the price of the tablet S has dropped by £50 on sony's own website.

Although I know price drops are inevitable and will encourage more tablets to be sold I am

a bit miffed that it has been dropped so soon after the launch date.

Any chance sony could do the honourable thing and offer some PS store, music or video credit

for those of us slightly miffed loyal buyers.

54 REPLIES 54
smellyonion
New

yep playstation certified is a gimmick, 4 months and only 2 new titles added althought I suspect that they are waiting for icecream sandwich.

for vertical use, this tablet is unsurpassed, its light weinght and bezel make it excellent. speakers do suck, build is lacking but you get the great universal remote.

no other tablet feels as comfortable, the ipad 2 has much better build and better app quality as well as less bugs but it is very simple and seems very babyish, the ui needs a major overhaul.

the samsungs are even worse than the ipad, samsung just imitates the ipads and puts android on them. I wouldnt buy it for this reason  as it doesnt have anything going forit, yes the build is nice, but its still an ipad clone. id say look at the next generation tegra 3 or go for the sony.

gino_76ph
Visitor

Tegra 3-powered tablets the size below 10" would probablly be at least 6 months down the line this year and would be very expensive.

I'm trying to weigh between Sony tablet and the upcoming iPad 3. even with Ice Cream Sandwich it will still take time for developers to port/release those apps and games to the Tablet S. i was kinda expecting after 4 months we would be having AT LEAST PS2 or PSP games on the tablet by now. but at the moment its very disappinting. watching movies, being lightweight, SD card support, remote control are really good though.

The iPad 3 is coming as well and i am very much tempted to buy it because of less bugs, more quality and HD apps and games and a more than excellent after sales customer support thing.

michaelstorf
Visitor

hi, you need to also take into account that if you bought the ipad3 that you will be tied to apple. there is no versatility. also, the android system seems to be evolving alot quicker.

gino_76ph
Visitor

The problem with Android is fragmentation. even with Ice Cream Sandwich you got 10 different companies making their own ICS device with different (or almost identical) specs the hope (and assumption) is that they will all have the same OS but with specs sometimes unique to each of those devices the developers will still find it kinda difficult to develop/port/release those games.

The problem (or advantage) with iOS devices like the iPad & the iPhone is they have a yearly cycle to update their devices but almost anything on the App Store is compatible with slightly older devices. you might say there is subtle fragmentation but with a "universal" iOS developers will find it easier to develop/port/release app & games to those devices.

I suppose in the long run it has got to be several issues namely consistency and non-fragmentation with the OS, balancing the software with the hardware, exploiting system specs features, price, developer support and what you do/need with the device.

Propreitary hardware (like Apple's) can be good. but only if it is consistent, appealing, cheap and supported by the consumers. You can have bluetooth 3.0, USB 4.0, DLNA, HDMI port but you don't really use them a lot other than transferring files say 30% of the day. no point.

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Sorry t oget on this thread very late...but can anyone confirm if Sony Entertainment rentals can be downloaded for offline viewing ?

Thanks