Join now - be part of our community!

keyboard bkb50

djtaz007
Visitor

keyboard bkb50

hi,

I receive my tablet Z4 with the keyboard, but how do i connect then?

thanks.

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@djtaz007

restart the tablet. 

Hampus
Champion

Hi,

By looking at the screenshot that you have provided, it looks like the keyboard and your Tablet is already paired. If you tap at BKB50, it should connect to it otherwise you should get the option to choose "Connect".

djtaz007
Visitor

hi,

I tap "BKB50" but nothing done on the tablet, and nothing on the keyboard.

Hampus
Champion

And there is no reaction or similar when you try to pair the keyboard via NFC to your Tablet? What happens if you press at the gear wheel via Settings > Bluetooth, does it react? If yes, press the "Forget" button in the new window that will appear after pressing at the gear wheel.

drlmiles1
Contributor

I assume the keyboard has been charged? I think it charges via USB, and if it had a flat battery it would not work... 

drlmiles1
Contributor

And it has a Power switch, which may need switching on for it to work

sarahnic
Visitor

I'm having a somewhat similar problem in getting the keyboard to work, and the included pictogram 'manual' is worse than useless.

I have charged the keyboard, bluetooth is switched on on the Z4.

There appear to be two controls on the keyboard, a button with a bluetooth logo (not referred to in the 'manual' so no idea what it does) and a slide switch.

When I slide the switch, a white light appears on the keyboard but nothing else happens and I cannot use the keyboard, nor is it recognised as a bluetooth device. The picture seems to show pairing the keyboard and tablet via NFC, but when I align the indicated symbols again nothing happens. NFC itself is switched on and working on the Z4 since I can beam to my android phone successfully.

Any ideas?

Update - after a great deal of faffing about, it appears holding down the small button enables pairing via bluetooth, so I have got it working for now. No idea what the NFC thing in the picture was supposed to do... This thing really needs much better instructions, and there is nothing at all in the manual or on the support page other than the confusing leaflet that came with it.

Potterer
Visitor

I also have the problem that my keyboard doesn't work with the tablet.  When I slot the tablet into the keyboard a notice appears telling me to activate the keyboard by tapping any key, which of course I do, but the keyboard remains inactive. 

I can't be bothered with this experimentation ; Sony have had time to get this right.  The product was announced months ago,  and then was delayed another month with no explanation and poor communication.  The instruction sheet for the Bkb50 is ridiculous. Please will Sony post an authoritative and effective instruction for connecting these two devices.

sarahnic
Visitor

Potterer, it sounds like you may have a similar problem to me, in that it seems that the keyboard was meant to be pre-paired but for me at least it didn't work.

This is what eventually got it working for me:

- Make sure keyboard is fully charged and bluetooth is enabled on the Z4

- Go to Settings > Bluetooth

- See if BKB50 is listed under Paired devices - if so, tap the gear icon to the right of it and choose Forget

- Turn on the keyboard using the slide switch - it should show a white light

- On the bluetooth screen, click the three dots icon and choose refresh, then press the little button on the keyboard next to the slide switch, this should hopefully then find the keyboard and allow re-pairing. It took me a few attempts to get it to work.

- Click on BKB50 to pair it to the tablet, it should then work as expected

Hope this helps, good luck! I don't see why Sony could not have added some printed instructions to the hopeless little instruction sheet.

Dodderer
Visitor

Thanks Sarah. I've only just seen your reply because I'd put the keyboard aside in disgust, and have only just come back to the forum to see what has developed. I also have had some success when I realised from drlmiles's post that 'paired' does not equal 'connected'. Simples!