Join now - be part of our community!

Incoming update 4.0.3 (release 1a)

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

Incoming update 4.0.3 (release 1a)

A small update is released, to version "Android 4.0.3 (release 1a)".

In some countries, that already had a first fix because of 3G issues, this update is 'release 2a')

There is no list of what is fixed. The update screen mentions 'initial boot issues' are fixed.

After updating, I can delete files again from the mnt/sdcard2 with a file manager app.
This is as we could with Android version 3.2.1, and no longer could after the past update to Android 4.0.3.

Note: if you approach the external sdcard via /sdcard2 instead of mnt/sdcard2 (as was made possible in Android 4.0.3)  you (still) do NOT have delete/modify rights.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.fr_BE.title
bennybuche
New

I got this update yesterday. Thanks for the additionnal info...

breedBenR

The write access in mnt/sdcard2 currently works with File Manager HD. It does not (yet) work with Astro (it gives an error), and not (yet) with Total Commander (i have been told).

profile.country.en_GB.title
garlangreeny
Visitor

This is a good update. Thanks for sharing.

breedBenR

I now actually think, it is the File Manager HD app that has find a way around the odd permissions on the Sony Tablet, and doubt it to be due to the update. As in the other file manager apps, renaming a file does not work, and permissions still show as -r- instead of -rw. :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
michaelb104
New

I've found since the update to release 2a that wifi connection is poor.  If I have a connection of fair or good I loose connection after about 10 minutes and have to switch off wifi and then switch it on again to get it going, but with an excellent connection it seems fine -  very strange!!

GeoffNT
Visitor

I have found that since the update I can write to /mnt/sdcard2 using ES File Explorer as I could before but now cannot rename or delete which I could before! Way to go Sony, you've actually made the situation worse 😞

Message was edited by: GeoffNT

GeoffNT
Visitor

As I unfortunately discovered last week, it is vital that apps can easily write to the removable SD card sdcard2. When my Tablet crashed (faulty motherboard) a hell of a lot of backup & app data was lost because it was on the internal sdcard and therefore wiped by the rebuild.

Why Sony feel the need to restrict access to sdcard2 I have no idea, but apps like Anmoney cannot write backup files to it because of it. They can only write to the internal one which is a totally useless place to have backups if the unit bricks itself like mine did.

GeoffNT
Visitor

I've just checked the permissions for the removable sdcard sdcard2.

As we know there are 2 paths to access it in the file structure. According to ES File Explorer the permissions are:

/mnt/sdcard2 are readable:Yes, writable:No Hidden:No

/sdcard2 are exactly the same as above

However while ES cannot create/delete or rename any file in /sdcard2 it can create a file in /mnt/sdcard2 but not delete or rename it. So either the file permissions are being shown incorrectly or there is another difference somewhere that is causing the problems

Anyone from Sony care to comment? Why is the sdcard2 not just readable:yes writable:yes? What possible reason is there to stop anything writing to the sdcard?