Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Switching Connections between iOS Devices

profile.country.GB.title
CJSouthern
New

WH-1000XM3 Switching Connections between iOS Devices

Hi all,

Bought a pair of WH-1000XM3 headphones yesterday. Paired and connected them to my iPhone X - no problem. Later on I wanted to watch a YouTube video on my iPad Pro - and listen to the audio through the headphones so I paired the headphones with the iPad - and it connected and worked as expected.

This morning I wanted to listen to music from my phone on them but when I switch them on they're still reconnecting to the iPad and to date I haven't found any way to transfer the connection back to the phone other than unpairing the headphones with the iPad.

I've had a look "around the internet" but not finding any easy answers on this - does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some "quick trick" With my Bose QC35 II it just switches between the two devices automatically.

Many thanks,

Cheers, Colin

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi CJSouthern

Welcome to the Community. 

It's best to contact
Sony Support about this.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
CJSouthern
New

Thanks. I did that and they replied.

Seems the solution is to temporarily switch off Bluetooth on the device it's currently connected to then connect it to the new paired device. Have to say that this seems a bit "clunky"; My Bose QC35 II connect to 2 iOS devices at once and switch between them automatically. So it seems that Sony have a bit of work to do with their current Bluetooth implementation to catch up.

If anyone would appreciate a bit of feedback for the WH-1000XM3 -v- the Bose QC35 II, I can say:

- Sony WH-1000XM3 active noise reduction is - on paper - slightly better than the QC35 II (for most frequency ranges), but in practice, I don't think the difference is particularly noticeable. Both are as good as we're going to get at the moment.

- With the Bose there's a switch that cycles the ANR between Maximum (but hopeless in the wind) - "Slightly less than maximum" (but excellent in the wind) - and "off". The ANR on the Sony has been poor in the wind; I believe that there's an "automatic" mode that switches a few things depending on what you're doing, but I haven't tried it - and I don't believe that there's a way to switch modes from the headset (I like manual control).

- The touch controls on the Sony are a bit of a pain for volume adjustment as one "swipe" only changes the volume a tiny amount - so you end up having to swipe swipe swipe swipe to make a substantial change; on the Bose it's a physical button that can be pressed multiple times or just held down (same as phone volume control buttons).

- Bose CAN announce battery state - but if you turn that option on you also get the connection state - which can be a mouthful when both have quite long names. I've suggested they break these into 2 options, but no luck so far.

- Sony have more "bells and whistles" in the app (equalizer etc) - not sure how useful many of them are; I haven't found a use for them personally.

- Sound quality from both appears great to me.

- Bose case has optional cords on one side and the headset on the other - with Sony it's all on the same side making it slightly slower to pack them away, but not a biggie.

- Bose always powers on with ANR set to maximum - would be nice if it remembered the last state so I don't have to change it every time if I'm outside doing a lot of walking and there's a bit of a breeze.

- Per my original comment, the Sony will PAIR with up to 8 devices - but - changing the CONNECTION to which of the (up to) 8 devices it's paired with can be a bit clunky. It supposedly supports NFC, but I didn't have any luck getting that to work - despite having a compatible phone (and NFC that gets used daily for my EFTPOS card). If you're only switching infrequently between, say, iPad and iPhone then not a big deal to switch Bluetooth off on the last connected device temporarily - but if you're wanting to frequently switch between, say, an Apple watch and an iPhone then that would probably be more of a "PITA" if you can't get the NFC way to work.

- Big variation in Sony pricing - pays to shop around; my usual suppliers were around $150 more ... but happily matched the price of a competitor. Pays to ask.

Hope this helps someone!