Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

profile.country.US.title
bugzy3188
Explorer

Sony WH-1000XM3 Muting in the Cold

Is there a way to turn off gesture control on the 1000XM3s? It barely works in optimal conditions and when standing outisde in cold weather they will consistently register swipes (even though nothing has touched the headphones), either turning volume up/down or skipping tracks and after about 1 minute they will mute as if I am holding my hand over the right ear. Any suggestions?

244 REPLIES 244
profile.country.SE.title
johane73

I have filed a support ticket with Sony Sweden listing the issues I have:
* Headphones note working well below 5c

* Restarting headphones outside doesnt solve the problem all the time

* ANC is not as good anymore

I hope to get a satisfying answer back in the next two days or I will take the headphones back. I'm really dissapointed as they are otherwise great (when indoors).

profile.country.GB.title
Aleksunn

@IamNic 

You've said, that Sony never write in forum, but..Screenshot_20190204-161251.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
mruddo

My latest response confirms they can give no estimate on timescales for the investigation... so it's looking increasingly likely I'll be returning my pair before the week's out. 

:disappointed_relieved:

profile.country.NO.title
dyviknilsen

The response I recieved from Sony Support:

We are investigating recent customer feedback regarding issues related to WH-1000XM3 in cold environments. The issue has a great priority for us.

Although our WH-1000XM3 meets all the necessary quality standards, we take such inquiries very seriously and work proactively and methodically towards an early solution. If you buy the unit, we kindly advise you to wait doing something in the meantime. We will contact customers that has reported about this as soon as this survey is completed.

Unfortunately, we do not have an immediate solution to the phenomenon and dont have any information on what outcome of investigations will be.

Let’s hope this indeed the case; that the issue has a high priority, and that once they’ve found the issue and (possibly) found a solution, they’ll let us know, hopefully not too long from now.

profile.country.GB.title
i.alder
Explorer

I was considering buying a set of XM3s.

However, Sony have said the headphones are operating within specification.
The spec says the operating temperature is 0 degrees C and above.

Bose Qc35 II have a much large operating range (down to -20 degrees C i think).

So, I am now looking at Bose QC35 ii's.
profile.country.GB.title
mruddo

FWIW, I don't believe they are operating within specifications. I think the temperature difference (i.e. moving from relative warmth into the cold)  is the bigger issue here. I'm sure I've had problems above 0 Celsius.

The Bose do however appear to have a far more practical temperature range... Unfortunately, in all other respects I personally prefer the Sony product.

profile.country.SE.title
johane73

@mruddo wrote:

FWIW, I don't believe they are operating within specifications. I think the temperature difference (i.e. moving from relative warmth into the cold)  is the bigger issue here. I'm sure I've had problems above 0 Celsius.

The Bose do however appear to have a far more practical temperature range... Unfortunately, in all other respects I personally prefer the Sony product.

I agree, the operating temperature is not  down to 0c. I have had the problems above, and as you say its usually when the temperature changes or its windy.

And like you I really prefer these over Bose, but if I cant use them outside for ~5 months of the year I am forced to swap them for Bose. 

profile.country.SE.title
johane73

@johane73 wrote:

I have filed a support ticket with Sony Sweden listing the issues I have:
* Headphones note working well below 5c

* Restarting headphones outside doesnt solve the problem all the time

* ANC is not as good anymore

I just got a very "non" answer to my ticket...

Basically "its a known issue" and "if your turn them off and on again it should solve all issues".

The support agent completely disregarded what I wrote about the restart not always working and the ANC problem.

I guess he just convinced me to return these.

profile.country.CZ.title
mantaraycz

Wish I could return them. But past the date and going through a claim
process getting replies about normal function, sucks...
profile.country.NO.title
dyviknilsen

My response was a little better. No new information, but he didn't disregard what I wrote about the fix not being enough, etc. He was very clear on the fact that it was a high priority, let's hope that's true.