Join now - be part of our community!

NW-A45 line out cable

profile.country.GB.title
Gsteruk
Explorer

NW-A45 line out cable

Hi all

I'm hoping to get a NW-A45 soon, but I can't seem to find anywhere to buy the wm port to line out cable, which I understand is needed for line out?  Do Sony sell them, or does anyone know where to find them? Thanks a lot

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Gsteruk,

according to the spec sheet it has a default 3.5mm stereo output as well.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Gsteruk
Explorer

Hi, yes for headphone out, line out is a purer signal though, headphone out isn't any use for running through an external amp

Thanks

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Gsteruk,

line out is just a simple analog connector, it isn't more/less pure than the headphone output.

At least it is true for 3.5mm line out connectors. It is a different game for 6.3mm balanced connectors.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Gsteruk
Explorer

Many devices either have a separate headphone/line out or a shared lineout with headphone, typically the line out will be a pure signal in the sense that all enhancements and eq will not be applied.  This is what I'm looking for as it's fairly standard across the board.  Sony do make a cable to allow this from the wm port, it just seems to not be available anywhere from what I can see

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Gsteruk,

you can doubt what I say, yet the NW-A45 is a HR (High-Resolution) player and its 3.5mm stereo output gives you a HR signal, so the best analog quality possible.

I am not even sure if a "Walkman-port to line-out"-adapter would still work on this device, since it has a dedicated 3.5mm output.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Gsteruk
Explorer

Every device has a dedicated 3.5mm for headphones, that's industry standard.  I don't doubt you, I feel your just not wanting to acknowledge that a line out is also industry standard, that's ok, you can have that view, it's no big issue.  The Wm to line out does indeed work, the issue is they are just hard to find.  Headphone out and line out however are simply not the same, if they were then there wouldn't be the need to have the distinction, they are used for different purposes.  To use a headphone socket as a line out is not at all the same thing. Line out is much higher impedance, for a putpose, to allow the signal to be passed more effectively to external devices.  That's why it exists

profile.country.GB.title
d.dibbley
Explorer

They seem to be readily available on ebay.  This item doesn't specifically list the NW-A45 but it does mention the 22 pin Wm port which the NW-A45 uses.

profile.country.GB.title
Gsteruk
Explorer

I had seen those, but speaking with other users, it doesn't seem that they give true line out, more like a maxed out headphone volume, doesn't seem to bypass the amp at all, which really isn't very good. The proprietary nature of Sony's hardware it seems that a true line out really doesn't seem to be possible

profile.country.GB.title
d.dibbley
Explorer

Line out isn't something i need at the moment but it's good to know about the maxed out volume. It seems strange that on a player like this there wouldn't be a standard line out signal.