Join now - be part of our community!

VGC-RC202 Desktop; Microsoft Application Problems

Quietman
Visitor

VGC-RC202 Desktop; Microsoft Application Problems

Hi! My just out of the box "202" is being a pain, hanging up in Microsoft Office, Media Centre, etc.
It seems to be an application conflict somehow....
I took off the Free Trial version of Office, and loaded on my own version of "Office", and also took of the trial version of Norton, prefering my paid up McAfee instead. Also put on Zone Alarm and PC Tools antispyware.
Any ideas if this lot could, in combination, cause conflicts, i.e. have I broken it already??
Cheers!!!
Andy

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Andy and welcome to Club Vaio !

I wouldn't run two software firewalls together - use either McAfee or ZoneAlarm. Not sure about McAfee but ZoneAlarm monitors individual applications installed on your computer and the two could easily conflict.

Both Office and XP MCE will try to access the Internet and come up against the firewalls. If these have a configuration or conflict problem your PC may well hang.

What version of Office have you installed?

:thinking:

Quietman
Visitor

the version of office I have is the student and teachers edition 2003.
The McAfee is only used for antivirus, so the Zone alarm is really my onlky firewall.
I have now restored the machine back to its factory build and think I will try the Norton to see if the machine now runs with more stability.
Thanks for the post!!
Andy

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You should only run 1 software firewall, having a firewall in your router is fine