Join now - be part of our community!

Sudden shutdown and extreme heat

Timish
Visitor

Sudden shutdown and extreme heat

Hi all

I searched the forum but couldn't find a related topic.

I bought a VPCEB1S1E about a week ago, and it already has problems... It keeps shutting down, a blue screen appears with crisscross colours (i suppose it should be some text but can't be seen), then the notebook restarts itself. The left side of the notebook gets hot extremely quickly although I take care about the cooling. It gets extremely hot even after an hour of being in use... Can the fan be the problem? I can't believe a one week old machine would start off with a fan issue?! It shut down even on the first day but because it did in sleep mode I thought the issue was the setup and switched off the "turn off hard drive" option in the settings and thought that would do it. But it keeps shutting down.

Any experience with this?

Thanks a lot

Regards
Timea

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Timea and welcome.

Can you hear the fan working?

Have you installed all the available updates for your model - in particular the Vaio Care and Graphics updates? Available here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?m=VPCEB1S1E_WI&l=en_GB

If you have installed these and still have the problem, contact the seller of the Vaio and ask for an exchange if it is only a week since purchase.

Alternatively, contact Vaio support by going to the link above and clicking on "Get in Touch".

:slight_frown:

Timish
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo. I tried the updates but it seems to have been a ventillation issue. Wednesday DHL picked my Vaio up and today I received it back safe and sound. They cleaned the fan. I've NO idea how the fan of a one week old machine could get dirty.... It was certtianly something that I have not done to it... :S In any case, It's back and I hope the problem ceased to exist. We'll see.