Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Stick Icon Gone

JellybeanCowboy
Visitor

Memory Stick Icon Gone

Hi all,

I've just got a new FS315S and have been tinkering!!
But through my tinkering, somehow the icon under My Computer for the built-in Memory Stick slot has gone, and been replaced with the standard Windows document-type icon.
The slot works fine but I just can't get this icon back.
Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this please?

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I think the actual trouble is that the G drive that the MS reader was assigned to has gone, unti that is I add a new USB device, then the newly installed hardware adopts the profile of the G drive and the icon reappears, can I add the G drive back to my card reader? its a multiple one btw, H drive is for CF cards & the I drive was for Smart Media until G dissapeared anyway as now if I have a Sony MS in the reader I have to click on H drive to access it , its like they have all shifted up one place in the list and a new J drive was created for the Smart Media cards.

I hope this makes sense.... help!

Chris you can change the drive letter from H back to G if I understand your post correcly by following the instructions below.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
Under Computer Management, click Storage, click Disk Management. In the right pane, you’ll see your drives listed. Removable discs etc. are listed at the bottom of the pane.
Right-click the drive or device you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the drive letter you want to assign, and then click OK.

Not sure if this could cause any other problems as some programs may make reference to the drive letters and possibly could not work correctly after the change.

chris_lewis
Visitor

I have tried all of the above and the settings were there in the first place,

I think the actual trouble is that the G drive that the MS reader was assigned to has gone, unti that is I add a new USB device, then the newly installed hardware adopts the profile of the G drive and the icon reappears, can I add the G drive back to my card reader? its a multiple one btw, H drive is for CF cards & the I drive was for Smart Media until G dissapeared anyway as now if I have a Sony MS in the reader I have to click on H drive to access it , its like they have all shifted up one place in the list and a new J drive was created for the Smart Media cards.

I hope this makes sense.... help!

Thanks

C

chris_lewis
Visitor

You da man!!! worked a treat :smileygrin: Thanks:smileycool:

Such a small little thing but so satisfying, thanks again Thalamus.

C

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You da man!!! worked a treat :smileygrin: Thanks :cool:

Such a small little thing but so satisfying, thanks again Thalamus.

C

No problem Chris, glad it's sorted, these little things can be so frustrating at times :slight_smile: