Join now - be part of our community!

Issue with video card/drivers

profile.country.en_GB.title
makeyw
Visitor

Issue with video card/drivers

Hi,

I have a VPCEC2S0E with ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 Graphics.

All worked fine until recently but yesterday the screen began to flicker while i was watching a video.

Gradually more and more of the screen became black (buttons, images). (Was very odd!)

I rebooted and after the windows logo i am left with a black screen but there is a mouse pointer.

I am able to log in...just typing my password does seem to get me to my desktop.

I  can just about make out the start menu (Enough to shut it down again)  ...even hovering over the task bar seems to cause a flicker in the  blackness but not enough to read anything that pops up.

If i run in safe mode all works fine.

I've disabled the drivers for the graphics card and managed to get a working laptop again with the Standard VGA adapter drivers.

I've tried reinstalling the ATI drivers from Sony and it just causes the same issue...

I've restored back to about 3 days ago and it's still the same issue....

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

There is a new driver 8.723.8.2 dated 19 November 2010 - have you tried that?

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?m=VPCEC2S0E_WI&l=en_GB

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
makeyw
Visitor

Hi..thanks for looking in to this..

Yeah just tried the driver on the link you sent and still no luck...

That said, this time it's not JUST a black screen...the screen is majorly corrupted with various colours occasionally appearing as i move the mouse pointer over various things (like the start bar).

Very strange...i'm wondering if it's the video card that's screwed?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It does seem strange.

It sounds like a phone call to Sony Support on Monday!!

:slight_frown: