Join now - be part of our community!

Fn (function) keys not working

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Fn (function) keys not working

Gentlemen,

I have a new problem! During an install of Norton Internet Security 2010 (previous versions always fine for me) Symantec took control of my laptop and, I am sure, made some adjustments to my registry (I think) to improve my Boot time. I think they also deleted my 'prefetch' file(s). Since then my Fn function keys are not working and I have 'lost' my bluetooth icon from the taskbar (allowed me to switch bluetooth on/off - it's on all time now).

Can you help me please?

Thank you,

Gyron

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

I do know that both Symantec and BT, when hey had 'control' of my laptop for various problems, started in Safe Mode. Could this action have switched either of them to the 'First User'?

As you say that you are the only user and that you have administrator privileges I doubt that this is the problem.

You could however check in Control Panel -> User Accounts that yours is the only account listed and turn off the Guest Account to be certain.

There is one other thing that you could check...

Open Windows Task Manager and on the Processes tab see whether ati2evxx.exe is running. This is the executable for the Ati Hotkey Poller.

If you find that it is not listed under running processes then click on Start -> Run and type Services.msc into the run box and press enter. Scroll down to Ati Hotkey Poller and double click on it. On the General tab select Startup type as Automatic and then click Apply.

You could then (on the same tab) try starting the service but if this fails to work then re-boot.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Thank you for reply and apologies for not replying earlier - extra day at daughters gardening!

You were correct, ati2evxx.exe was not shown as running in the Task Manager/Processes window. Modifying Hotkey Poller in Services.msc/General tab and a re-boot have fixed the problem. Fn+F7 now works perfectly.

Thank you so very much once again, great job. What would we do without you gentlemen out there to help us!!

For my own satisfaction, what do you think caused this to facility to be 'switched off'?

Thanks once again,

Kind regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

I’m pleased to hear that the problem is solved :slight_smile:

For my own satisfaction, what do you think caused this to facility to be 'switched off'?

I suspect that, as Blencogo suggested, Norton turned off anything it didn’t consider necessary. I am also very anti Norton and for that matter of any programme that makes changes to your system without clearly detailing the changes made or providing a transparent roll-back facility.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Thank you for that. Yes I understand and agree with what you say re. software auto switching 'things' off without clearly detailing what they are about to do.

Regarding Norton, I suppose its 'the devil you know' syndrome. However. when my current subscription runs out I will have a look around for an good alternative. Any suggestions what would be a good Firewall/Virus Protection Package alternative, or should I not be asking that sort of 'sensitive' question here?

Kind regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

My apologies for the delay in responding.

Regarding Norton, I suppose its 'the devil you know' syndrome. However. when my current subscription runs out I will have a look around for an good alternative. Any suggestions what would be a good Firewall/Virus Protection Package alternative, or should I not be asking that sort of 'sensitive' question here?

This is a difficult question to answer as there are so many variables and we all have our own preferences.

I personally prefer to use a firewall that uses very little system resource as I am behind a NAT router that will take care of incoming threats (but not outgoing if your PC is infected).

I am over cautions about what I install on my main PC and very careful with my browsing. Also, I have installed Spyware Blaster that will warn you if the site you are browsing poses a known threat.

Bloated Antivirus programmes are possibly the major cause of poor performance and in my opinion one of the major offenders are Norton.

Taking the above into account I would recommend either Kaspersky or AVG Internet Security.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Gyron,

Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 is my choice, the 3-user version is currently on offer in PC world/Currys for £23.99, and includes a 3-user version of Tune up utilities

gyron1
Explorer

Thanks for reply Thalamus & Rich,

I understand what you say about Norton, it certainly does seem to slow down my laptop quite considerably, especially start-up.

I will have a close look at Kaspersky Internet Security, thanks for advice. Pity about Tune up Utilities - already have it. Never mind it may save me the upgrade they are offering.

Thanks again,

Gyron