Join now - be part of our community!

can i update to 64bit

nonebutfrank
Visitor

can i update to 64bit

hi

i have a VGN-SZ3XWP/C and it is starting to show its age running some of the newer ram hungry programs that i use, i have asked at the shop i brought it from and they have told me that the maximum ram this machine can use is 2 x 1gb,( which it has ) but if i upgrade to windows xp 64bit i could then run 2 x 2gbDDR2 SDRAM, could you please let me know if this is true or are the trying to get me to spend money on equipment that wont make much diffrence to the overal preformance.

if this is true where can i get the Windows XP 64 bit program from, and is it hard to install

could you please keep answers simple as im not an expert when it comes to the tecnical stuff

thanks

frank

1 REPLY 1
ash_c64
Visitor

According to CRUCIAL.com your laptop has a maximum of 1gb per slot (theres two slots on this laptop), so adding a 2gb stick wont make a difference. your Laptop can only have 2gb maximum(1gb per slot). Even if you do add 2x2gb sticks the laptop will only recognise 2gb of ram or it might not even load. The operating system will not increase the maximum the laptop can take.

The difference between 32bit and 64bit is that the 32bit doesnt recognise more then (about) 3.5gb ram while the 64bit can recognise a lot more. So if your laptop could take more the 3 gb of ram then you would benifit from a 64bit operating system.