Join now - be part of our community!

Battery light flashing very rapidly

Haakie
Visitor

Battery light flashing very rapidly

Hi there,

I own a PCG-F807K laptop wich has always served me well. But i wanted to use it last monday it refused to work on battery power.
On one of them that is (i've got two batteries). When i wanted to use both batteries together the light of the second battery started to flash rapidly. Windows told me the battery was 100% full but when the first battery was dead the computer died as well. Using the battery in the other bay gave the same problems. Both battery's are about 1,5 years old. And before summer break both battery's worked fine. How could one of them be dead?

I've searched the Sony site but couldn't find anything regarding my problem. Any ideas?:smileyconfused:

15 REPLIES 15
scr38
Visitor

Batteries die. And that appears to be your problem. You will have to use just the good one.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

Perhaps check the connectors on the 'second' battery - do they look damaged? Li-Ion batteries should be good for about 2 years before they go.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

If you stored your batteries at 0% for an extended amount of time, then it will take a while to restore their capacity.

In additon to what DT suggested, have you tried fitting the main battery and charging it? Have you tried fitting both batteries and charging them? Plug your laptop into the mains and add both batteries. Make sure the system is off and leave it for four hours at least. Does the battery lights stop flashing as frantically?

EDIT: Had a last minute frantic thought about this one. Sony have no FAQ on your question, but Apple have (Apple 1 Sony 0 - I am loathed to admit it!).

I know this is related more to the Apple PowerBook but because Apple and Sony both use Li-Ion batteries, the chemistry and the way they should be handled is the same.

Basically the first link below describes in a better way how to calibrate your Li-Ion batteries to get the most life out of them.

Apple Computing: FAQ - PowerBook Li-Ion Battery Calibration

The next link below describes how to store your Li-Ion Batteries during summer months.

Apple Computing: FAQ - Storing your Li-Ion PowerBook Battery

Haakie
Visitor

I've tried to recharge the battery. That doesn't work. The light keeps flashing. But it would be a great help if Sony had some kind of documentation witch can tell me what that flashing means.

kee-lo_

EDIT: Had a last minute frantic thought about this one. Sony have no FAQ on your question, but Apple have (Apple 1 Sony 0 - I am loathed to admit it!).

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees I knew you'd have to admit it Mr Mold!!!!!
HAHAHAHA YES FINALLY
Thats made my day (sad I know)

Right back to the problem.
Sounds to me like the second bay might be damaged in some way if both batteries work in the first bay.

Batteries usually last 2 years, some unfortunate people have had around 1.2 years!

It's all very dependant on their use, management and enviorment.

TygerTyger
Visitor

2 years? That's it? And they are so damn expensive too. Geez Tyger, way to buy a laptop as your only computer.

Er as a related question, if you just leave the battery in all the time and run it off the mains, that means it lasts a lot longer right?

kee-lo_

Yeah it's pretty poor isn't it?
I leave mine in the bay and it seems fine.

TygerTyger
Visitor

My good news for the day :smileygrin: Thanks Kee-Lo.

kee-lo_

No problem.