Join now - be part of our community!

Accessing files on a removed hard drive.....

coldblood87
Visitor

Accessing files on a removed hard drive.....

I recently had to have my Vaio S4M/S replaced due to a small accident, and got sent my old hard drive so i could hopefully recover the files from it. However, I cant seem to find out anywhere how to do this safely and easily. Does anyone have any ideas what i can do? I was looking into enclosures, but my hard drive seems to be a 2.5" SATA and places only sell either 3.5" SATA or 2.5" IDE.......:smileyworried:

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi coldblood87,

Welcome to the forum,

You seem to be correct I can not find any external 2.5" sata enclosures :slight_frown:

GBS
Visitor

Hi

It might be worth contacting these people as they seem to be able to build all sorts of hard drives.

They may be able to help?

Click here for Allcam

HTH

dodridge
Visitor

You can get SATA to IDE converters.

I stumbled in here looking for info on the HDD in my S4Z. It seems that the drive is SATA as you say but the controller is IDE. Not sure if it's fair to advertise the drive as SATA when the HDD controller is IDE. My drive is currently running in Ultra DMA Mode 5, not SATA 150Mb/s.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Not sure if it's fair to advertise the drive as SATA when the HDD controller is IDE.  

That's a bit naughty of Sony! :triumph:

dodridge
Visitor

Update:

The controller IS SATA capable (ICH6-M) but it seems that the SATA drivers are not installed, and it shows up as an Ultra ATA IDE controller.

These drivers can only be installed during a clean OS install, so I'm don't think I can fix it myself without an XP disc etc.

I created an eSupport case. No response yet.